Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Oscare
Frequent Visitor

Need help calculating Null and No null values in column

Hello, I'm running a report to calculate the average of null values and no null values in a specific column. How can I differentiate this in a Line Chart? Again, all the values (nulls and no nulls) are in the same column.
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @parry2k 

Test with this data

9.png

First Create a calculated column

year/weeknum = YEAR(Table1[Date])&"-"&WEEKNUM(Table1[Date],2)

Then Create two measures

count not null = 
CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Date]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table1),Table1[year/weeknum]=MAX(Table1[year/weeknum])&&Table1[Test Number]<>BLANK())) count null =
CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Date]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table1),Table1[year/weeknum]=MAX(Table1[year/weeknum])&&Table1[Test Number]=BLANK()))

Add them to a line chart

8.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Oscare 

Please clear me how the line chart should look like?

Here is my test:

1.png

Since average for null values would get null for all rows, so i count how many rows are null.

Could you show me some example data and describe more about your expected visual?

Best Regards
Maggie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks! That's a great example, and I think we're getting closer to where I want @v-juanli-msft . As I mentioned earlier to @parry2k, I'm looking to generate a "Line Chart" that will have the Week# in the Axis and the Value would be the number of Tests per Week compared to the null values per week. Please see my previous example for additional details. Thanks!

Hi @parry2k 

Test with this data

9.png

First Create a calculated column

year/weeknum = YEAR(Table1[Date])&"-"&WEEKNUM(Table1[Date],2)

Then Create two measures

count not null = 
CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Date]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table1),Table1[year/weeknum]=MAX(Table1[year/weeknum])&&Table1[Test Number]<>BLANK())) count null =
CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Date]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Table1),Table1[year/weeknum]=MAX(Table1[year/weeknum])&&Table1[Test Number]=BLANK()))

Add them to a line chart

8.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Thank you all for your help.  Another solution I implemented was to create 2 line charts one that shows the total number of cells with value per week and another chart that show the total number of nulls per week. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Oscare you can add another column and use that for your calculation

Null or Not Null = 
IF ( ISBLANK( Table[MyColumn] ), "Null", "Not Null" )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks for your reply @parry2k . All the cells on the new column are "Not Null" even if there's a value in the main column. 

@Oscare not sure what you mean, if you can share sample data in excel and expected result, it will help. Read this post to get your answer quickly

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k , Thank you for the information provided. So, let me explain what I have. I have a table with thousands of records. One of the columns is “Test Number,” which has the test information when a user provides it. If they don’t have a test, a “blank” cell is generated. I want to be able to generate a chart to calculate the number of tests created over the empty cells. In this example (see below) it would be 20 tests over 11 empty cells (no tests provided).  Thank you!

DateTest Number
11/12/2018Test_03
11/14/2018Test_15
11/16/2018Test_16
11/18/2018 
11/20/2018Test_04
11/22/2018 
11/24/2018Test_01
11/26/2018Test_02
11/28/2018 
11/30/2018Test_08
12/2/2018 
12/4/2018Test_09
12/6/2018Test_10
12/8/2018Test_11
12/10/2018 
12/12/2018 
12/14/2018 
12/16/2018Test_14
12/18/2018 
12/20/2018Test_12
12/22/2018Test_13
12/24/2018 
12/26/2018Test_17
12/28/2018Test_18
12/30/2018Test_19
1/1/2019Test_20
1/3/2019 
1/5/2019 
1/7/2019Test_05
1/9/2019Test_06
1/11/2019Test_07

@Oscare so you want to show value in card visual 11 divided by 20 from this example data? correcT?

@parry2k Maybe my example needs more elaboration than I thought.  There is another column called “Week.” So, I want to be able to create a chart like the one below which will show the blue line to be the number of cells with data (Test_#) by week and yellow line that indicates the number of empty cells by week. Test to No Test Ratio for week 1 would be 6/2

Week

Test Number

week1

Test_03

week1

Test_15

week1

Test_16

week1

week1

Test_04

week1

week1

Test_01

week1

Test_02

week2

week2

Test_08

week2

week2

Test_09

week2

Test_10

week2

Test_11

week2

week2

week3

week3

Test_14

week3

week3

Test_12

week3

Test_13

week3

week4

Test_17

week4

Test_18

week4

Test_19

week4

Test_20

week4

week4

week4

Test_05

week4

Test_06

week4

Test_07

Test to No Test RatioTest to No Test Ratio

Test to No Test Ratio

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.