Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thuantv
Helper I
Helper I

Need help - Why shared user can not download report in term of Pbix file

Dear All

I have share a report to end user but end user can not download it in pbix.

In the screen of end user in app.powerbi.com, user can not see the "Download Report (Preview" in tab "File".

I have check security and setting on data set, it seem to be ok and I have also had authorization of Refresh and edit data in this folder of report.

How ca

Picture Powerbi can not download.PNGPicture Powerbi.PNG

Picture security level.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stick with me here @thuantv , it is not the case that your user is added to RLS that has anything to do with anything, it is the fact that you have implemented RLS in the first place. Again, think about it, if you have shared a report and dataset with someone and they are in RLS, if they download the PBIX, then the RLS restrictions essentially no longer exist for that user. If download was allowed for users with whom an RLS report has been shared (not workspace owners) then it would completely violate the entire intention behind RLS.

Let me know if this makes sense.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Pretty sure that it is your Row Level Security. Think about it. If someone who only has Row Level Security to the report downloads the PBIX, goodbye RLS...

Latest book!:

Dear Greg

It is not due to row level sercurity, User has already included in Row level security.

He can see information on the report but he can not download it.

Please see picture i have paste in previous message.

Stick with me here @thuantv , it is not the case that your user is added to RLS that has anything to do with anything, it is the fact that you have implemented RLS in the first place. Again, think about it, if you have shared a report and dataset with someone and they are in RLS, if they download the PBIX, then the RLS restrictions essentially no longer exist for that user. If download was allowed for users with whom an RLS report has been shared (not workspace owners) then it would completely violate the entire intention behind RLS.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.