Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jamesrr25
Frequent Visitor

Need assistance with calculation... Percentileif

Hello, I just started using DAX and Power BI. I am attempting to complete 2 actions here, lets say we are dealing with car loans here:

1. Each loan is assigned an expected default value or rate (i.e. Loan 1 has a DefaultRate of 5.25%). I have thousands of these. I need to figure out, for each car dealer( DealerName), what the 95th percentile is for each dealer. Users need to be able to select different time periods (PurchaseMonth) so I want the measure to be able to look at any date period used in say a slicer and adjust the 95th percentile accordingly.

95th Percentile = CALCULATE(PERCENTILE.EXC(MainData[DefaultRate],.95),MainData[DealerName]=MainData[DealerName],MainData[PurchaseMonth]=MainData[PurchaseMonth])

2. Based on that dynamic 95th percentile data point for each DealerName for each PurchaseMonth I need to take the average of the DefaultRate only where DefaultRates > 95th Percentile point. I was able to get this working only if I created a fixed column for the 95th percentile (95thPercentileRate), and then created a second column (DefaultRate5%TailLoan) used to ID the car loans that have default rates > the 95th percentile:

DefaultRate5%TailLoan = IF(MainData[DefaultRateLoan]=0,"N/A",IF(MainData[DefaultRate]>MainData[95thercentileRate],"Y","N"))

I then use the following formula to determine the average of the DefaultRates where the DefaultRate5%TailLoan column = Y

Avg.DefaultRate5%Tail = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(MainData[DefaultRate]),MainData[DefaultRate5%TailLoan]="Y")

I clearly need a lot of help and am willing to learn but I am not finding any answers in forums or training for dax useful in my situation.

Thank you

-James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pro Tip:  

• When referencing a column, always use the form TableName[ColumnName]
  • When referencing a measure, always use the form [Measure]

This is for you own sanity -- helps you "remember" what ur talking about when going back to read your fo it "remembering" what you are talkin' about 

[quote]

CALCULATE(AVERAGE(MainData[DefaultRate]), FILTER(MainData, MainData[DefaultRate]> [95thercentileRate]))

[/quote]

My guess at what is going wrong is that the call to FILTER() is going to iterate 1 row at a time over MainDate.  So, you are going to evaluate [95thPercentileRate] against... 1 row.  If we want to compare to the overall 95th percentile, we need to break out of the single row somehow.  Maybe a new measure?

95thRate-All := CALCULATE([95thPercentileRate], ALL(MinData))

And use that in the filter?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I forget, I'm skeptical of your 95th Percentile measure.  I claim that MainData[PurchaseMonth]=MainData[PurchaseMonth] is always true.  I would expect Try MainData[PurchaseMonth]=EARLIER(MainData[PurchaseMonth]) or... something?

Anyway, just looking at these two parts... 

IF(MainData[DefaultRate]>MainData[95thercentileRate],"Y","N")

CALCULATE(AVERAGE(MainData[DefaultRate]),MainData[DefaultRate5%TailLoan]="Y")

Seems we could combine them:

CALCULATE(AVERAGE(MainData[DefaultRate]), FILTER(MainData, MainData[DefaultRate]>MainData[95thercentileRate]))

Does that do as you hope?

Hi scottsen, The 95th percentile formula does "just work". Thank you

The other part that I am struggling with now is when I try the combined formula as you suggested below: 

CALCULATE(AVERAGE(MainData[DefaultRate]), FILTER(MainData, MainData[DefaultRate]>MainData[95thercentileRate]))

I am receiving the following calculation error message

calcerror.JPG

any idea what could be causing this error? Am I able to write a measure based off a separate measure?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

@Anonymous Any chance you would know what is causing the error message above? I am using the .95 as the k value in the percentile formula, so I am not sure why this error would come up. Also, I dont get this error in the percentile formula by itself, only when I include it in the formula which you suggested.

Thank you for your assistance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you clarify if MainData[95thercentileRate] is a measure or a column?

Hi,

It is a measure. I made it as a measure since this value will adjust depending on the different selections made in slicers/filters/etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pro Tip:  

• When referencing a column, always use the form TableName[ColumnName]
  • When referencing a measure, always use the form [Measure]

This is for you own sanity -- helps you "remember" what ur talking about when going back to read your fo it "remembering" what you are talkin' about 

[quote]

CALCULATE(AVERAGE(MainData[DefaultRate]), FILTER(MainData, MainData[DefaultRate]> [95thercentileRate]))

[/quote]

My guess at what is going wrong is that the call to FILTER() is going to iterate 1 row at a time over MainDate.  So, you are going to evaluate [95thPercentileRate] against... 1 row.  If we want to compare to the overall 95th percentile, we need to break out of the single row somehow.  Maybe a new measure?

95thRate-All := CALCULATE([95thPercentileRate], ALL(MinData))

And use that in the filter?

Boom! You rock sir. Unfortunately using the All function only gave me the results for the entire population. When I switched the function to AllSelected I obtained the correct results!

95thRate-All := CALCULATE([95thPercentileRate],ALLSELECTED(MainData))

Thank you so much!!!

Awesome, Thank you! That  solves the second part to my question.

Now I need to figure out a way to make my 95th percentile column dynamic so that it adjusts depending on the PurchaseMonth selected by the user. So if they selected a 6 month period, the 95th percentile would be based on that period, or any other period that may be selected. Is there a way to do this? Im struggling with whether or not this should be a measure or a column.

Thank you

-James

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you write a measure, say just:

95th Percentile = PERCENTILE.EXC(MainData[DefaultRate],.95)

It should "just work".

It will work correctly for 1 region or all regions, 1 month or all months, etc.  Measures generally work against any set/subset of rows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.