Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NTRAN
Frequent Visitor

Need assistance finding Highest value of the same category

I have noticed that this similar topic has been asked and resolved several times by other users here, but their solution does not work for me. 

So I'm trying to find the highest value that of the same category and display that value in a new column. I've tried several solutions but nothing works so far.  A picture would be the best way to explain it.  

Highest Metric Same Order = CALCULATE(MAX('Dummy Data'[Metric A]),ALLEXCEPT('Dummy Data', 'Dummy Data'[Order]))  

collumn problemIt is strange because the filter seems to function correctly (the right column all return the same values in the category) but the value it pulls out seems bizarre and doesn't follow any logic.  

I've also tried this formula for the column, which returns the same values:  

Highest Metric Same Order = CALCULATE(MAX('Dummy Data'[Metric A]),FILTER('Dummy Data','Dummy Data'[Order] == EARLIER('Dummy Data'[Order])))

collumn problem 2

The pseudocode is simple:  

- Filter table for rows with the same (Order).  

- Get the maximum value of (Metric A) in that filtered table  

- Display that maximum value in the new column   

Yet the results don't make any sense, so I'm in a bit of a bind here.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ahh, it was doing the MAX() on the alphabetical rather than numeric value.  6 is higher alphabetically than 1000000 (Just like F is higher than AZZZZZZZ) so that is what was causing the result.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NTRAN
Frequent Visitor

Ok, so the problem just kind of... sorted itself out.  

I was using an iferror() function in my dummy data table and return a string if the conditions that create the metric are not met.  

However, it seems like that power is confused when a column contains both string and integer value and that kinda mess up the max() function. 

Even with those string data point filtered out, it still affects the max() function somehow, which is my theory.  

However, once i just left those cells (blank), it now works fine.    

Still, I appreciate you guys trying to help me out.  

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi NTRAN, 

According to your description, it seems that this is caused by the data type, so you could try to change the data type to int to see whether this work or not. 

By  the way, if you solved this problem, you could mark corresponding post as answer or share your solutions. That way, people who in this forum and have similar issue will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ahh, it was doing the MAX() on the alphabetical rather than numeric value.  6 is higher alphabetically than 1000000 (Just like F is higher than AZZZZZZZ) so that is what was causing the result.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @NTRAN 

try with this one:

Measure = CALCULATE(MAX(('Dummy Data'[Metric A]),GROUPBY('Dummy Data', 'Dummy Data'[Order]),ALL())
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Highest Metric Same Order = CALCULATE(MAX(DummyData[Metric A]),ALLEXCEPT(DummyData,DummyData[Order]))

Hi @NTRAN ,

This works for me. 
dummydata is my pbix.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathanieldd.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@NTRAN 

Can you share your sample data?  When I try to recreate the problem I get the correct results:

Highest Metric Same Order = 
CALCULATE(
    MAX('Dummy Data'[Metric A]),
    ALLEXCEPT('Dummy Data','Dummy Data'[Order])
)

MaxOrder.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors