Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pandakillsalot
Helper II
Helper II

Need advice on data modeling

Hi,

I got like 5 millions row of data which is stored in a Microsoft Azure SQL Database. The Power BI connects to the server using direct query. The refresh is fast, however, it's takes really long time to make a step like "group by".  Is there any way to optimize this? I couldn't spend a whole day waiting. 

I appreciate your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pandakillsalot,

Since the data is large, how about applying the Group By in the Database Server? For example, creating a view.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pandakillsalot,

The dataset is really big. How did you do "Group by"? Maybe we can find alternative approach. How about Import mode?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Import model doesn't support that much data so indirect query could be the only choice.

Hi @pandakillsalot,

Since the data is large, how about applying the Group By in the Database Server? For example, creating a view.

Best Regards,

Dale

Thanks, Dale.  It turned out that take all the process from Power BI to the database level is the best way to boost speed. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.