Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on data modeling

Hey awesome community! I am having trouble building a data model for a project and determine the best way to setup the relationships, I could use some guidance. I have a dataset that has 12 tables of different types of Work Orders and would like to be able to setup filter slicers for location, department, maintenance yard, WO status, and count the number WO's across all the tables. What is the best approach to build relationship between the tables? 

Data types in each table            

WO ASSET ID 

WO NUMBER

WO STATUS

WO DESC 

DEPARTMENT 

MAINTENANCE YARD 

data2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous I would suggest renaming the columns to the be the same name and use append function in the query editor, if you don't rename to the same name, it is not going to work, see below

Table 1 has one column called column1

Table 2 has one column called column2

when you append, a table will look like two columns, column1 and column2 but if Column2 in table 2 is renamed to column1, the final output after append will be a table with column1 and values from both the table and this is what you want. 

I hope it makes sense.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous First and foremost thing you want to do is to create dimension  table for the common slicers that you want to use across all the workorder tables,

2nd way could be to append all the workorder tables as a big table which will be used as a fact table and you can have a star schema.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema

Regardless 1st or 2nd option, best practice to have dimensions for your slicers that filters all your fact table.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k thank you for the response! Ok I have thought about appending into one big table but does it matter if some of the tables have different columns? they are not all identical 

@Anonymous I would suggest renaming the columns to the be the same name and use append function in the query editor, if you don't rename to the same name, it is not going to work, see below

Table 1 has one column called column1

Table 2 has one column called column2

when you append, a table will look like two columns, column1 and column2 but if Column2 in table 2 is renamed to column1, the final output after append will be a table with column1 and values from both the table and this is what you want. 

I hope it makes sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.