Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisB13
Frequent Visitor

Need a simple calculation Currentvalue - previousvalue, cannot find a good method

Hi,

I am trying to do a very very simple calculation, and maybe I am overthinking this.   I did some research and I cannot seem to find a "simple" way to achieve this and what I have found it seems that other users are experiencing similar problems.   I know that this calculation is very easy in Excel

I need to calculate the most current value (based on date), and subtract the previous value (based on date)

Here is the data, I need the red value 38.64 - the blue value 21.47, then to the end of the list (blue 21.47 - orange 28.30) and so on. 

I have about 300 different symbols and this is just 1, so indexing created an issue 

Screenshot_1.png

The end goal of this is simply to determine if the most recent value is greater than the previous.   So I am open to suggestions on this.   I will need to conditionally format the cells "green" if its greater and "red" or no formating if its less than.  (I can take care of the formatting, just adding it for context)

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisB13  - One way to do this is in Power Query. Try these steps:

0. If the different Symbols are in separate columns, you will need to first select the date and "Unpivot Other Columns".

1. Order by Symbol and Date.

2. Add an index column starting from 0, and another starting from 1.

Add Column - Index.png

3. Merge the table with itself, joining the one index column to the other. This way, you can retrieve the previous value.

4. Add a Custom Column that returns 0 if the current and previous Symbols are different, otherwise the current minus the previous value.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisB13  - One way to do this is in Power Query. Try these steps:

0. If the different Symbols are in separate columns, you will need to first select the date and "Unpivot Other Columns".

1. Order by Symbol and Date.

2. Add an index column starting from 0, and another starting from 1.

Add Column - Index.png

3. Merge the table with itself, joining the one index column to the other. This way, you can retrieve the previous value.

4. Add a Custom Column that returns 0 if the current and previous Symbols are different, otherwise the current minus the previous value.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.