Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bdehning
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Need Unknown instead of blank

I have Table with Class Code and Description.  Class Code and Description reside in different tables.  

bdehning_0-1674331843468.png

The column Description fills in from Class Code.   I was able to create Unknown for Blank for Class Code.

So I do create a Custom Column or Conditional Column to get Description to show Unknown instead of blank?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @bdehning ,

You could in power query replace blanks with unknown using the replace values function,

check this link for instructions https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/replace-values

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @bdehning ,

You could in power query replace blanks with unknown using the replace values function,

check this link for instructions https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/replace-values

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

I am not sure who marked it solved.  But not solved, as not as simple to just use replace values. 

As explained, Class Code and Description are in two different tables and Description does not contain any null values.   

Description is determined from Class Code value and I have to select last when Description is placed as a column.  I was able to replace Null in Class Code with unknown.   

When Class Code encounters a null value is correctly displays Unknown in the table, but Description leaves a blank and it has no way to assign a value for null or unknown as it does not contain either. 

Since Description is a on table on Server, how could I add a Row to this table to insert a Row that has null value.   That seems it may work, right? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.