Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Help with Sankey Chart

Hi All,

I need to show the following analysis in sankey chart, can anyone help me to achieve this in Power BI:-

Scenario:-

►When user selects their current role and their aspirational role, the visual should show skill overlaps and skill gaps.

For example, Asset Manager (11 skills) and Business Manager (10 skills) have an overlap in 6 skills:

►Analytic Ability (ET)

►Data Analysis (ET)

►Influence

►Planning and Forecasting

►Project Time Management (ET)

►Structured Problem Solving

There are 4 skills that Asset Manager needs to build to become Business Manager:

►Change management – Shared Services/Global Business Services (ET)

►IT Decisions and Authorizations

►Financial Planning, Budgeting, Forecasting and Management Accounting Process Knowledge

►C-level presentation

Capture.JPG

Please find the visual and link to samle data:-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TbWId-ZvTvHudYwyfIWdjrVxNVSDx-MCpLlXcel0Av8/edit#gid=0

Regards,

Harish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You are using the wrong visual.  A matrix visual with conditional formatting would work better but you need to find one that allows for vertical column header text.

lbendlin_0-1612390321704.png

If you play with the weighting you can even end up with a visual that spells out exactly which skills are still needed.

lbendlin_1-1612391047472.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

One approach would be to use a binary decision tree

- skills that match - 1

- skills I have but not required in new role - 2

- skills I need - 4

and then add them up.

But it's really up to you to decide what is important to you in this particular scenario.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @lbendlin for your help, I will have some logic created with the idea given.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You are using the wrong visual.  A matrix visual with conditional formatting would work better but you need to find one that allows for vertical column header text.

lbendlin_0-1612390321704.png

If you play with the weighting you can even end up with a visual that spells out exactly which skills are still needed.

lbendlin_1-1612391047472.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin Thanks for giving me an alternate solution, this helps and all this while I was just glued to achieving this in sankey chart. I just want a visual to tell the story irrespective of which visual I use, could you please help me with the weights if possible.. I am not sure how to achieve that!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.