Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rahuldas_vgm
Helper I
Helper I

Need Help with LOOKUP of a value from a column and the value is in another column of the same table

I have the following Columns:

ID      Sales Amt.     Sales Month       Previous Month

A1       1000               June                    May

A2        2000              April                    March

A1         3000             May                    April

A2         4000             March                 February

I need to make a column which would lookup previous month column's value in sales month and return the sales amount. A lot like:

ID      Sales Amt.     Sales Month       Previous Month   Previous Month Sales Amount

A1       1000               June                    May                            3000

A2        2000              April                    March                         4000  

A1         3000             May                    April                             -

A2         4000             May                    April                            2000

Tried Measures and calculated column but failing to get the desired output.

Any help would be 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rahuldas_vgm ,

You can use MAX function to replace the original SUM function just as shown in below screenshot:

Previous Month Sales Amount =
VAR _premonth =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Previous Month] )
VAR _selid =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[ID] )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Table'[Sales Amt.] ),
FILTER (
ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
'Table'[ID] = _selid
&& 'Table'[Sales Month] = _premonth
)
)

yingyinr_0-1635241228824.png

If what you want to get is a column, you can create a calculated column as below:

Column = 
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[ID] = EARLIER('Table'[ID])
                && 'Table'[Sales Month] = EARLIER('Table'[Previous Month])
        )
    )

yingyinr_0-1635241912220.png

If the above ones are not working, please provide more sample data with Text format and your expected result with screenshot or special examples. Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is a calculated column expression that should work.  However, how do you handle Jan with Dec prev month?  You should consider converting your Month columns to dates, adding a Date table to your model, so you can then do this type of analysis with time intelligence measures.

PrevMon Sales =
VAR prevmon = Amt[Previous Month]
VAR thisID = Amt[ID]
RETURN
    SUMX (
        FILTER ( FILTER ( Amt, Amt[Sales Month] = prevmon ), Amt[ID] = thisID ),
        Amt[Sales Amt.]
    )

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hello Pat,

Thank You for your suggestion. This really brought me to think about the January Month and taking it backward. I have now created Present Date and previous month date column from query edit. I did come across timeintelligence analysis posts here before and will definitely try to resolve the problem.

Also, it would be of great help if you could guide me with this part, in case I'm unable to follow the posts properly.

Thank you again!! 

Hi @rahuldas_vgm ,

Whether your problem has been resolve? If no, you can create a measure as below to get the sales for previous month:

VAR _premonth =
VAR _selid =
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Table'[Sales Amt.] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[ID] = _selid
        )
    )

yingyinr_0-1635239735264.png

In addition, you can refer the solution in the following links to get it.

direct query previous month

Get value for previous month

Calculate last month value in DAX with Power BI

If your problem has been resolved, could you please mark it as Answered? It will help the others in the community find the solution easily if they face the same problem with yours. Thank you.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Rena,
Thank you for your help. The result is not showing me any values but there is no error message. The type of data in the column sales is in words(text) if i were to return a text, what should i replace the SUM function with?

Thank you again for your help, looking forward to your reply. 

Hi @rahuldas_vgm ,

You can use MAX function to replace the original SUM function just as shown in below screenshot:

VAR _premonth =
VAR _selid =
RETURN
CALCULATE (
FILTER (
ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
'Table'[ID] = _selid
)
)

yingyinr_0-1635241228824.png

If what you want to get is a column, you can create a calculated column as below:

Column = 
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[ID] = EARLIER('Table'[ID])
                && 'Table'[Sales Month] = EARLIER('Table'[Previous Month])
        )
    )

yingyinr_0-1635241912220.png

If the above ones are not working, please provide more sample data with Text format and your expected result with screenshot or special examples. Thank you.

Best Regards

Sorry, I had forgotten to say that the current month is being selected through a slicer. So, now I realized that your solution works perfectly but only when the slicer has been completely removed or the current month and the respective previous month is selected from the slicer.
I will definitely mark this as a solution to the question I had posted but it would really be of great help if you could let me know:

1. How to create a column which would have the values of the measure that your solution is providing.

2. How to make visuals view the previous month data on single month selection instead of two consecutive month selection.

Thanks a ton!

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @rahuldas_vgm 

Try this to add a new column:

Column = LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[Sales Amt.],[Sales Month],[Previous Month])

Output:

VahidDM_0-1634989823078.png

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

The column Previous Month was created in query edit for calculated column by using Dateadd(SalesMonth,-1,Month). Is that the reason it is giving me the error. Also if it is possible to get previous month sales value from the column Sales Month itself as per the values inside the column?

Thanks again for all of the wonderful suggestions and help!

Thank You @VahidDM 

I tried lookupvalue in create column but it gives an error " A table of multiple value was supplied where a single value was expected".

😞

Thank You for your suggestion!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.