Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Help:- Power Query to DAX:- Filtering table of employees for each Role

Hello All,

I am trying to create role based report without using power query but only using dax.

Why i am not interested to use power query is, because with that approach, the master tables rows that i have, those are getting duplicated.

Now cominig to my problem statement,

I have two table 

1. EmpMaster

Capture.JPG

Power Query:- 

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Rcq7DcAgFEPRXVxTBEgglPl/Vnhi/zWCUSQ31j2SzbDAIeU20aM6w0rPdOje6CLvLfPAKd0H08snM+h/0VG+6VF+6El+6fS7fg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Designation_key = _t, Org_unit_key = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Designation_key", Int64.Type}, {"Org_unit_key", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Now Based on these Org Unit key's, for each org unit there are multiple roles defined.

And these roles are mentained in another master table i.e

2. HR Master Table

Capture1.JPG

Power Query:- 

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjZU0lEyMDAHkmbmSrE6cBELkIgFsoglSMQSLGIGkjUwBImbGSCLGGGoMQaS5hA1xkZwu5BFTEwNELrAIkYGJmhqjOC6YgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Org_unit_key = _t, Roles = _t, Designation_Key = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Org_unit_key", Int64.Type}, {"Roles", Int64.Type}, {"Designation_Key", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

It is quite difficult for me to explain the exact operations that i was doing 

So i request you to please go through the power query, and i hope you will understand.

3:- Emps By Role Table(Last Output table)

Capture2.JPG

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Rcq7DcAgFEPRXVxTBEgglPl/Vnhi/zWCUSQ31j2SzbDAIeU20aM6w0rPdOje6CLvLfPAKd0H08snM+h/0VG+6VF+6El+6fS7fg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Designation_key = _t, Org_unit_key = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Designation_key", Int64.Type}, {"Org_unit_key", Int64.Type}}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"Org_unit_key"},HR,{"Org_unit_key"},"HR",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded HR" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "HR", {"Roles", "Designation_Key"}, {"Roles", "Designation_Key.1"}),
#"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Expanded HR",{"Designation_Key.1"},EmpMaster,{"Designation_key"},"EmpsMaster",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded EmpsMaster" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "EmpsMaster", {"ID"}, {"ID.1"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded EmpsMaster",{{"ID.1", "Manager ID"}, {"Designation_Key.1", "Manager Designation Key"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns"

As of my understaning,

I am trying to bring down all the employees based on each role from HR master table using org unit key, and their designation key.

It is quite easy with power query,as you can see above, but it created a huge table(around 4000000 records) when i tried it with the original data.

Now how i can achive these operations in DAX(measure or calculated column) and without creating duplicate records of each emp or disturbing the master tables.

Please suggest me,

Mohan. V

2 REPLIES 2
Kristjan76
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi there,

It is difficult to answer this question without seeing the data, but you can try this, and perhaps show example data if this does not produce the desired results. You would just replace this in the Emps By Role Table

let
    Source = EmpMaster,
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"Org_unit_key", "Designation_Key"},HR2,{"Org_unit_key","Designation_Key"},"HR2",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded HR2" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "HR2", {"Roles"}, {"Roles"})
in
    #"Expanded HR2"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Kristjan76

Thanks for the reply,

I did solved this using power query, and i did mentioned the same in my post as the Last output table which is my end result.

Now my question is, how can i achive this using DAX.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.