Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NaudeJP

Need Help On Getting Value From Previous Row

Hi Everyone,

I am new to PowerBI and please need help on a formula.

I am building a PowerBI fuel consumption model for a road freight company. I need to add a new column after the "Odometer" column on the query below. The value in the new column needs to be the previous row's value in the "Odometer" column- if the current value in the "Vehicle" column matches the value of the previous row's "Vehicle" column. I hope this makes sense!

Power BI.png

This needs to be done in order for us to calculate the distance driven by a specific vehicle since the previous fuel fill-up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @NaudeJP 

Your original data shows you are in Power Query. This code sample will provide that data in Power Query before it loads to the data model.2020-06-09 09_57_49-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png

You can see it returns the previous odometer reading unless it is the first odometer reading for that vehicle, and then it returns null.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUoEYkMjYxOlWJ1oJSOYgLGJGVjAGMhJAmIjmIAJVIURUA9YwBSqwsTEFKgiFgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [UnitID = _t, Vehicle = _t, Odometer = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"UnitID", Int64.Type}, {"Odometer", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = 
        Table.Group(
            #"Changed Type",
            {"Vehicle"}, {{"All Rows", each _, type table [UnitID=number, Vehicle=text, Odometer=number]}}
            ),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Added Index", each Table.AddIndexColumn([All Rows], "Index", 0)),
    #"Added Prev Odometer" = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            #"Added Index", 
            "Added Prev Odometer", 
            each Table.AddColumn(
                [Added Index], 
                "Prev Odometer",
                let
                    varTable = [Added Index]
                in 
                each try varTable[Odometer]{[Index]-1} otherwise null
                )
            ),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Prev Odometer",{"Added Prev Odometer"}),
    #"Expanded Added Prev Odometer" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Added Prev Odometer", {"UnitID", "Vehicle", "Odometer", "Prev Odometer"}, {"UnitID", "Vehicle", "Odometer", "Prev Odometer"})
in
    #"Expanded Added Prev Odometer"

1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done

A calculated column may work for your needs, but I generally try to avoid them if possible, but your question isn't a black and white issue as to where this goes. See which works best for you! In general, try to avoid calculated columns. There are times to use them, but it is rare. Getting data out of the source system, creating columns in Power Query, or DAX Measures are usually preferred to calculated columns. See these references:
Calculated Columns vs Measures in DAX
Calculated Columns and Measures in DAX
Storage differences between calculated columns and calculated tables

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @NaudeJP 

Your original data shows you are in Power Query. This code sample will provide that data in Power Query before it loads to the data model.2020-06-09 09_57_49-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png

You can see it returns the previous odometer reading unless it is the first odometer reading for that vehicle, and then it returns null.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUUoEYkMjYxOlWJ1oJSOYgLGJGVjAGMhJAmIjmIAJVIURUA9YwBSqwsTEFKgiFgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [UnitID = _t, Vehicle = _t, Odometer = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"UnitID", Int64.Type}, {"Odometer", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = 
        Table.Group(
            #"Changed Type",
            {"Vehicle"}, {{"All Rows", each _, type table [UnitID=number, Vehicle=text, Odometer=number]}}
            ),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Added Index", each Table.AddIndexColumn([All Rows], "Index", 0)),
    #"Added Prev Odometer" = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            #"Added Index", 
            "Added Prev Odometer", 
            each Table.AddColumn(
                [Added Index], 
                "Prev Odometer",
                let
                    varTable = [Added Index]
                in 
                each try varTable[Odometer]{[Index]-1} otherwise null
                )
            ),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Prev Odometer",{"Added Prev Odometer"}),
    #"Expanded Added Prev Odometer" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Added Prev Odometer", {"UnitID", "Vehicle", "Odometer", "Prev Odometer"}, {"UnitID", "Vehicle", "Odometer", "Prev Odometer"})
in
    #"Expanded Added Prev Odometer"

1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done

A calculated column may work for your needs, but I generally try to avoid them if possible, but your question isn't a black and white issue as to where this goes. See which works best for you! In general, try to avoid calculated columns. There are times to use them, but it is rare. Getting data out of the source system, creating columns in Power Query, or DAX Measures are usually preferred to calculated columns. See these references:
Calculated Columns vs Measures in DAX
Calculated Columns and Measures in DAX
Storage differences between calculated columns and calculated tables

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

MCSA: BI Reporting
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@NaudeJP 

I can't see the screenshot you provided clearly.

Hope below example can help you.

perviousvalue = MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[order]=earlier('Table'[order])-1),'Table'[test])

1.PNG

Thanks, it seems like it might work. I am just getting this error now:

Annotation 2020-06-09 183240.png

How can I get this fixed?

Thanks again for the help!

Hi @NaudeJP ,

I think you are creating a measure. (Not sure though )

You need to create a Calculated Column.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/dax-error-messages-in-power-bi/

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.