Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mostvp123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Need Help - How to replicate a DAX formula using ALLEXCEPT in Power Query to minimise data load

I'm trying to replicate a DAX formula in Power Query M but struggling a bit. The reason for this exercise is we would prefer to minimise the data pulled into the model. Basically, my company is tracking changes on a large dataset, taking a snapshot every day in a Data warehouse, for numerous fields. I am only interested in the changes on certain fields, and hence want to decrease the dataset size in Power Query before pulling in the data. The dataset is structured as follows:

mostvp123_1-1652288276406.png

This is an example for one record (unique id column "Oppid"). There have been 6 changes in total across the dataset since 01/03/22, hence 6 rows appear. The valid_from and valid_to dates show for what dates each row is valid, the row with valid to = 31/12/2099 is the current status of the record.
There are many more columns in the dataset, but I only care about changes in the first 5 columns displayed above. Hence we have duplicate rows which I want to remove, and pull only the minimum valid_from and maximum valid_to dates.
If I do a simple grouping in Power Query, with Min of valid_from and Max of valid_to I get the following result:

mostvp123_2-1652288439416.png

This is not what I need - as can be seen in the msdyn_forecastcategory field in the first table, the record Actually moved from "Upside" status, to "Probable" status, back to "Upside" and then back to "Probable". But due to the grouping functionality and the max/min calculation, Power Query can't figure this out. I can achieve what I want with a DAX formula in the model:

mostvp123_4-1652291763071.png

I created a ChangeID column which is a simple concatenation of the 5 columns I need to track changes on, and then a custom column called "Key valid_from" which pulls the minimum valid_from date that I care about (the minimum valid_from date within the context of the ChangeID column, which is smaller or equal to each row's valid_to date).
Then I can safely summarize my table into a new table, including the "Key valid from" column, which behaves like a Unique ID, with the following expected result:

mostvp123_5-1652291859546.png
In this table, the 4 changes back and forth from msdyn_forecastcategory are conserved, as well as the accurate valid_from and valid_to dates.
How could I replicate something like this in Power Query M, if I am starting with Table 1 at the top of this post?

Thanks a ton for the help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

This looks like a GroupKind.Local type of problem.

See Chris Webb's blog or ehansalytics

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Some kind of windowing function using lag and lead with partitions?

I know there is a technique where a pseudo- grouping column is created (You can probably use the ID2 column). I'm sure there's stuff out there on the web

Thanks - Will look into it! Unfortunately the ID2 column was a manual test column that I was trying to replicate with my DAX formula - not actually in the dataset!

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

This looks like a GroupKind.Local type of problem.

See Chris Webb's blog or ehansalytics

One question though - any idea how one would one achieve something similar with T-SQL and a Group By statement?

Wow! That worked 😄 Thank you so much!! What a neat trick!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.