Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Albers USA map with counties

I need an  Albers USA shape map that allows me to fill in counties. I am seeing a lot about using topo json maps.... however I am having trouble finding anywhere with the map for me to just grab and use. My dataset is simple. Just a list of employees and what county & state applies to them. Is there anywhere I can just grab the map file and apply my locations to fill it in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

USA counties map 

If you have FIPS code in your data, this should work.  I made it a few years ago and it's quite a large file.  See how you get on.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Here we go.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Shape-Map-unique-map-keys/m-p/474154 

It gets complicated because posters started putting other questions in the thread but I think the info is in there.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

USA counties map 

If you have FIPS code in your data, this should work.  I made it a few years ago and it's quite a large file.  See how you get on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Thank you, I can definately add FIPS code to the data set for use with that. What is the best format to use for plotting properly? Do I just need the code... or the code with county and state name combined?

Can't quite remember - it has to be combined and fully-padded I think - (there is a thread on the forum from 3-4 years ago that I responded to, which revolves around that issue).  However, if you get the shapemap loaded in powerbi and 'view map keys' it should show you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your map works great, absolute lifesaver. Thank you.

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could refer to this thread to create Your Own Custom Map for Power BI:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-Your-Own-Custom-Map-for-Power-BI/td-p/165854 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to find an existing usable map. It would be way to much work for me to custom label every single county in the united states. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

For simple cases like this you can use the pre-cut maps.  Pick the "US states and counties" option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the reply. Would you be able to expound on that a bit? Where can I find the pre cut maps with the US states and counties option? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors