Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Navigation Step in the Query Editor

Hello,

When I click on the icon next to the Navigation step, the Navigation window opens.

I thought it was used to select a table that had not been imported, so that you could view the data.

It does that, but removes the steps below it in the Applied Steps section on the Query Settings panel.

Is this what should happen?

If so, I don't see the value in viewing data that way, as you loose all of the steps below the Navigation step.

I'm wondering what other people think about this feature.

Tracy

7 REPLIES 7
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

In Power BI Desktop Query Editor, the Navigation step is to find the table you expect in data source. If you edit this step and select another table, this dataset will be changed into the table your selected (even the dataset name is still the previous one) so that all steps after that will be removed since the table itself is already changed. So if you need to view other table data, I suggest you create another dataset for that.

Best Regards
Alex

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@elz i am not sure what you're talking about as i don't see navigation step icon via query editor. can you post a screenshot ?

I have this problem as well. I have a query tied to Azure Data Lake with a csv in a file structure by year, month and date. I want to select a different folder and file that has the same structure. But when I try to change the navigation step, it erases all following steps. It does warn me of this, but it's frustrating to have to recreate the following steps.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Alternatively you can adjust the step in the Advanced Editor.

If you don't know how to change it, you can first create a duplicate query, adjust the navigation step (losing all next steps, but now you have the code you need to adjust the step in the Advanced Editor in the original query).

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Yes! I had not checked there and sure enough, that should work. It was throwing me off that the formula bar only showed the last step of the navigation. But the Advanced Editor has all the steps.

Additionally, any chance you know how to have the navigation find the latest folder (the records are stored daily under a folder hiearchy that includes the year, month (number), and day. Any way to automate the navigation to always go to the latest date and get that file?

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you get files from a folder, you get a navigation table with the following columns:

Content
Name
Extension
Date accessed
Date modified
Date created
Attributes
Folder Path

The way to go is to filter this table somehow that will give you the desired file(s).

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks for the tip, that could be useful. Will try getting the folder with latest DateCreated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.