Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Natural Language Generation Plugin in PowerBI

I recently found out that PowerBI has the ability to generate insights using an NLG tool called "ARRIA" (https://www.arria.com/).

You can add it to your visualisation by doing the following

1. Click on the three dots.
  2. Go to import from marketplace.
  3. Search for ARRIA
  4. Download the visual.
  5. The visual with a yellow box around it is the ARRIA visual. 

Viz.JPG

You can use it by just clicking on it and adding it to your dashboard. Once you have done that, you can drop in the dimensions and measures you want.  A window with configuration options will appear on the visualisation.

There are two types of columns:

1. Dimensions - Non-numerical columns  
  2. Measures - Numerical columns

Depending on the type of column chosen, the entity type has the following options:

1. If it is a dimension, you can choose between DateTime and Location. If it is left on select, the column would be considered as a string.
  2. If it is a measure, it can be Currency. Leaving it on select will consider it as a number.

Cofig.JPG

Once you have made the desired settings on the first page, click on next. On the next page you will be able to customise the type of analysis you require. Based on the fields supplied to the NLG, it will display the available analyses.   

Config 2.JPG

After configuring the above panel, click next. This is the final page where your analysis will be shown. Since I am working on confidential data, I have not shown the generated text. The text can be generated at three levels of detail - Summary, important things and tell me everything, each with increasing complexity.

LastPage.JPG

My take:

I am yet to explore this tool completely but from my initial usage, I think this is a pretty neat tool. The text generated it usually statistical but compared to some other NLG tools I have used, the text and insights generated by ARRIA is pretty great. The language used is also quite sophisticated. I would use this tool to quickly find outliers, trends and skews in the data. I do think they can improve on the time-series analysis front. I faced some issues and couldn't find a way to resolve it easily. 

While this tool needs improvements, it's better than a lot of NLGs out there and the best part is that it is available in PowerBI!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for sharing!

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for sharing!

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi @Anonymous ,

thank you for sharing.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.