Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataDork
Frequent Visitor

Names grouping together - unwanted

I have some baseball data that I am reviewing.  With the dataset there are a unique identifier and the full name.  I would like to use the full name, however power bi rolls them up together so players with the same name get large sums.  Is there a way to use two columns in the Axis to keep the records unique or will I have to group these together on name and id then somehow use DAX to extract the ID portion of the string.  If that would even work......

Thanks for any assistance.  

I even tried to pull in another excel file creating and one to many off the key and use the player name from that table but it still rolls it up.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear DataDork,

Please try this.

- Create new Column: User =  CONCATENATE(  CustID  & " - " , CustName)

- Create new Calculate: count order = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(OrderNumber) , ALLEXCEPT(User)

- Remember add the column "User" in your report.

Reagards,

ManNVSM.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dilumd
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

HI @DataDork

go to your value field and select "don't summarize".

click on the drop down after field nameclick on the drop down after field name

@dilumd

I'm not really seeing the options like that.  

I have two basic fields.  Values and Axis which in this case would be Player Name.  In order for me to keep it unique without Power BI rolling up the names is to use the unique ID.  

I there a way to build a measure to prevent grouping like that.  I know in SQL if you did that, it would group by and roll the names, but you could add the UID to the query and that would prevent the merging of the individuals name due to the nature of the grain.....

Here is a screenshot.  

Capture.PNG

Some additional failed experiments......

Tried to apply the playerID, the UID to the report level to break up the aggregation.....   

Concatenate the fields and then tried breaking off the end of the field in the Axis......

Created a proper 1:M join on the ID  using the playerID between the datasets and then using the Dim table to pull in the players name, but it still rolls it up. 

I attempted to create a hierarcy in the Axis, attempting to force the application to recognize the UID with the player name but it still rolls up.  This is really silly behavior in the application.  You would think you could at the very least control the grain of the data on the Axis with nesting another measure or some setting.......   I'm beginning to see this as a severe limitation in Power BI.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear DataDork,

Please try this.

- Create new Column: User =  CONCATENATE(  CustID  & " - " , CustName)

- Create new Calculate: count order = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(OrderNumber) , ALLEXCEPT(User)

- Remember add the column "User" in your report.

Reagards,

ManNVSM.

Hi @DataDork

Is it possible for you to add index column at the query level and then concatenate index column and the name column? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.