Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tiffanynguyen
Regular Visitor

NaN help

I created a new field, Cost/Quantity, and the output is coming up at NaN. 

I was able to see the Cost by year on a bar chart and quantity by year on a bar chart fine, but when I tried to doing Cost/Quantity on a bar chart, I am not getting anything due to NaN values. How do i fix this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The query editor uses a different language. It is case sensitive and if statements have a different structure there. You should familiarize yourself with the query editor language. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt211003.aspx

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Typically you get NaN when dividing 0 by 0.

So adjust your formula something like if Quantity = 0 then 0 else Cost / Quantity.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @MarcelBeug I had the same issue, found this solution, and fixed the error. 🙂

...or use the DIVIDE function since it has built-in /0 catching.

I am a newbie to PowerBI. How do i use the DIVIDE function when i created a custom column? Do I have to go to Advanced Editor?

Oh,  you're in the query editor. No, DIVIDE is a DAX function. You'll have to go with the if 0 suggestion from @MarcelBeug after all.

Thanks. it says that the If function is not recognized? Should I move to DAX to do this?

The query editor uses a different language. It is case sensitive and if statements have a different structure there. You should familiarize yourself with the query editor language. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt211003.aspx

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.