Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gtamir
Post Patron
Post Patron

#NAME?

Hi, After I loaded Sales table I got lot of errors in column "ProductName". The column in type TEXT.

I went bake to the original excel file and found that there is a special character like +. 

I looked for the error using M code TRY and it says DataFormatError.

How can I overide this error? What type should I use?

Tanks Giora

ScreenHunter_066.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @gtamir,

when you make a connection to an excel file the PBI validates the formulas you have in your book so if you have a column with formulas and one of those is incorrect it will return an error.

In this case what happens is that in that column on th excel file you have some formulas that aren't recognize so the error "#NAME?" appears.

I have simulated a file with that type of errors as you can see PBI is returning the same result as you have.

Untitled.png

The error in the Excel file is that I made a formula that doesn't exist. Go back to your excel file and look for the same error and correct the formula.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

I found the problem. I opened csv file in excel. then saved it as xlsx. So far so good.

After that I did something that I still have to investigate that when I saved it in another name it coused the error.

49906#NAME?

49906+ח.פBאקוסאפ ויט.מתיל12 

The second one is the original and the first is the result.

It is not the scop of the forum, but if you know what happend I'll be glad.

Giora

Hi @gtamir,

I think it may related to encode, maybe you can try to save your file as xlsx with unicode encode.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @gtamir,

Most of the time when you import data into the report Power BI automatically creates data type conversion step called 'Changed type'. You can adjust it, or even remove it and then apply your custom one.

Can you remove it via Advanced editor or using steps pane? And show us result with screenshot?

Regards,

Ruslan

Funny. This file is an append of 6 files.

I erased it, deleted the "change type" step as you suggested in all 6 files, and close and apply. No errors.

Now I appended the 6 files and I have 43 errors of the same kind (insted of a few Thousands before).

I also trimed and cleand the column.

any idea?

@gtamir,

Can you post your Power Query (M) code here? And error message as well?

Regards,

Ruslan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.