Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gvg
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Mysterious DAX filter terminology

Hi experts,

I am really getting lost in all the filter terminology. While reading different articles I come across this list of filters:

1. Context filter

2. Explicit filter

3. Implicit filter

Not to mention shadow filters described here. Leaving the latter ones for rocket scientists could you please explain on a practical example which filters are which. Say, I have a simple model:

Capture.JPG

and a PBI page:

Capture2.JPG

With regard to Sales result visual:

- If have a date slicer on my PBI page - what kind of filter that is?

- What kind of filter is the Date column in the visual?

- If I filter Division by West in the Divisions table visual, what kind of filter West is in the Sales result visual context?

- If I then place filter in the Filter section of Visualizations tab - what kind of filter this is?

pbix file is here. 

Would be very grateful if someone could demistify all this.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

By "Explicit" filters, they mean filters that are set outside the current query.

In Power BI, every visual on the report canvas is it's own query.  The query can be filtered either internally (by items on the axis of the visual, or by row/column header items), or externally (a slicer or filter that exists outside the visual).

Say you have a slicer on a report page showing countries, and you make a selection on the slicer to be USA.

Then you create a column chart visual on the same page using a calendar year on the axis and a SUM of sales as the value.

Each column in the chart probably has a different value.   The internal/implicit/query filter is applying a filter on each column for the calendar year (coming from the AXIS).  But there is also some filtering being applied by the external/explicit filter coming from the Slicer being set to USA.

If you use the ALLSELECTED function, it will remove the internal/implicit/query filtering on the calendar year, but still apply the filter coming from the slicer.  This will probably mean you will see the same value over and over for each year (which will be a total figure for USA).

Does that help?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Correct.

Have a look at the PBIX file I've attached to this message.

I have three calculated measures, all doing the same SUM, but have different filter handling.  You'll see the Slicer and Menu filter have the same effect.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.