Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

James1965
Helper I
Helper I

My coworker has not access to shared folder at my SharePoint online

Hi,

I have set up en PBIX file with dataset on my SharePoint online folder. I then sent the PBIX file and shared the SharePoint online folder to my coworker.

The coworker could not "refresh" the dataset (no access), although he get the shared folder and has a counter to MS.

PS: It works however if I have dataset on my OneDrive that is shared to him.

Could you help me? Thank you!

Regards/ James

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@James1965,

What connector do you use in Power BI Desktop, sharepoint folder or web?

I use web connector to connect to an excel file of a sharepoint online folder in the Desktop, create report. Then share the sharepoint folder to my colleague and send the PBIX file to her, she can refresh data in the PBIX file after enter her credential for the data source. 

However, if you create report using SharePoint Folder connector in Power BI Desktop, it is not possible for your colleague to refresh the PBIX file as it requires the colleague to have permission on the root SharePoint site, but the colleague only have permission on the folder but not the root site.  When using web connector, the issue doesn't occur because we can choose URL of the Excel file URL in "Select which level to apply these settings to" dropdown, and the colleague has sufficient permission on this level.
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi Lydia,

Thank you very much! This is the point. One have then two options to do it,

1. I can place the dataset on the root and share the root to my coworker. I could not find way to share the root. How could I share the root to other?

2. To use Web-connecter. How could I get the URL of the data file under a folder (in my SharePoint)?

I have tried above two options wothout seccess.

Best regards

James.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@James1965,

What connector do you use in Power BI Desktop, sharepoint folder or web?

I use web connector to connect to an excel file of a sharepoint online folder in the Desktop, create report. Then share the sharepoint folder to my colleague and send the PBIX file to her, she can refresh data in the PBIX file after enter her credential for the data source. 

However, if you create report using SharePoint Folder connector in Power BI Desktop, it is not possible for your colleague to refresh the PBIX file as it requires the colleague to have permission on the root SharePoint site, but the colleague only have permission on the folder but not the root site.  When using web connector, the issue doesn't occur because we can choose URL of the Excel file URL in "Select which level to apply these settings to" dropdown, and the colleague has sufficient permission on this level.
Capture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you very much! This is the point. One have then two options to do it,

1. I can place the dataset on the root and share the root to my coworker. I could not find way to share the root. How could I share the root to other?

2. To use Web-connecter. How could I get the URL of the data file under a folder (in my SharePoint)?

I have tried above two options wothout seccess.

Best regards

James.

@James1965,

1. Please review this article.
2. the URL is : https://XXXX.sharepoint.com/sites/Yoursitename/Shared%20Documents/YourFolder/Yourfilename.xlsx.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

It does not work for my coworker - with Web-connecter. Error massage is as below. It added "/_api/contextinfor" to the original adress.

best regards/ James

Untitled.jpg

@James1965,

What level do you choose when using web connector? Do you in same domain with your cowoker?

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

I don´t know what you mean with "level". I get the dataset through ->Get data ->Web and give the URL.

My coworker is in the same domain as me - the same organisation, regarding MS counter. The SharePoint folder, which is stand along, is merely shared to my coworker.

Best regards/ James

@James1965,

When you use web connector, and click the drop-down in the above highlighted textbox, do you select the URL of your file?

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

I use, ->Get Data ->Web and give the URL as

Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents("https://geoteknik.sharepoint.com/sites/NCGeoteknik/Delade%20dokument/Prjket1/18-Selma.txt"),[Delimit...",", Columns=8, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),

It works for me, but not for my cowork - credential controll.

Regards/ James

@James1965,

Everything works well in my scenario. Please make sure your coworker choose organizational account and select last level(file level) when signing in SharePoint.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Im facing the same issue as you mentioned, hower I sure that I'm have chosen the last level when signing in Sharepoint but still cannot refresh data, it stil get the error as _api/contextinfo.

Hope you can reply me soon, any more suggestions for this case: (

Hi,

I use weben-connector. We have tried in different ways without seccess - my coworker could not go through credential control.

best regards

James

James1965
Helper I
Helper I

Hi all,

My conclusion is then that Power BI could not access dataset on shared SharePoint folder.

Thank you for your attension!

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @James1965

Did you gave him acces to the data in your account on app.powerbi.com ? Check if he as the rights

When you say refresh the dataset, what do you mean ? Get new data ? 

- Quentin

Hi Quentin,

Thank you very much!

No. I give him the PBIX file with the dataset on my SharePoint. He runs the PBIX file om his computer (Power BI desktop). Since the dataset is pointed to on my SharePoint which I shared to him, he should have access to the dataset through his MS account.

James

@James1965

Do you any Row Level Security enabled on your report that could block him ?
Is he connected to is MSFT account in Desktop ? 
Normally with the pbix file he should be able to see everything and refresh the report. Maybe he need to manage connections and change something ? 

- Quentin

Hi Quentin,

Thank you very much!

I think that it is question on access of Power BI to shared SharePoint folder. I couldn´t find this type of question in Google - all are regarding to dataset to ones own SharePoint not shared SharePoint folder.

Is it OK to have dataset on a shared SharePoint folder?

James

@James1965

It should work, but perhaps you could change the dataset to something else ? 

- Quentin

Hi Quentin,

Thank you!

What could be the "else"? I agree with you that "It should work", otherwise why SharePoint online?

As I mentioned that it works with my OneDrive, SharePoint works in the same way as OneDrive?

@James1965,

What is the detailed error message do your coworker get when he refreshed dataset in Power BI Desktop? Does he change the data source credential to his password in the PBIX file?

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

It could not go through the credential controll of MS. He did not change thing - run the PBIX file and "Refresh".

Untitled.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.