Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MikeSwe
Regular Visitor

Multiplying distinct count with related table

Hi,

I am new to PowerBI and have been trying to solve the below. However after searching various forums without luck I thought to ask if someone could help with the below.

We have a table (main_table) with "unique names", grouped by "project", "site" and "site category".

UniqueNames

ProjectSiteSiteCategory
Name 1Project XA10
Name 2Project XA11
Name 3Project XA10
Name 4Project YB13
Name 5Project YB13

By using a table and count the unique values of "Site Category" per Project I managed to produce the below output.

ProjectSiteNbr. Unique Site Category
Project XA2
Project YB1

In a different table (cost) there is a value and a cost associated with each site.

SiteCostValuePrice
A2100
B1150

The goal is to produce a table/graph multiplying the unique site categories per project with the related cost table based on site, CostValue and Price ("Nbr. Unique Site Category" x "CostValue" x "Price").

E.g. Project X =  2 x 2 x 100, Project Y = 1 x 1 x 150

ProjectCost
Project X400
Project Y150

A relationship has been setup between the two tables with "Site" as the linked column.

By using a measure with DISTINCTCOUNT('main_table'[SiteCategory]) I have managed to get the number of unique SiteCategory but multiplying this with the cost table does not work since it does not do this per site.

Any pointers in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried that but it did not work as the top row should give value 200.

However we solved it by adding a calculated column to the main table with the cost value  and price added per row. The muliplication still did not work at first, due to one data being aggregated and the other were not. However using MAX did the trick and the data is presented correctly.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MikeSwe , You need something like 

Sumx(Summarize(main_table, main_table[Project], main_table[Site], "_1", DISTINCTCOUNT('main_table'[SiteCategory]), "_2", related(cost[CostValue]) , "_3", related(cost[Price]) ), [_1], [_2], [_3])

Capture1.PNGHi @amitchandak ,

When trying to apply this I get an error message stating that there are too many arguments for Sumx and that two arguments is the maximum.

Hi @MikeSwe ,

If you have created the following relationship, then I think you can try the measure.

vkkfmsft_0-1642732979381.png

Measure = [Nbr. Unique Site Category] * SUM(cost[Price]) * SUM(cost[CostValue])

vkkfmsft_1-1642732999597.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried that but it did not work as the top row should give value 200.

However we solved it by adding a calculated column to the main table with the cost value  and price added per row. The muliplication still did not work at first, due to one data being aggregated and the other were not. However using MAX did the trick and the data is presented correctly.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.