Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndyTrezise
Helper II
Helper II

Multiplying across numerous tables

My data a model that includes three tables which are all linked as follows:

Projects -> Tasks -> Assignments

Multiply Tasks per project, multiple assignments per task.

I need to arrive at a value which is the result of multiplying a filed from each table – Projects.Column1 * Tasks.Column1 * Assignments.Column1

I’ve managed to do it by creating new columns using LOOKUPVALUE so all the values are in the same table – I can then create a further column to multiply them out.

However I’m sure there must be a single step way of multiplying these value across the 3 tables??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @AndyTrezise

I'm not absolutely sure. But you could try to use

=SUMX(PROJECTS;'Projects'[Number]*RELATED('Tasks'[Number]*RELATED('Assignments'[Number]))

Note: This is only vailid when ONE Project has ONE Task and ONE Assignement. In fact 1:1 relationship.

Greetings spuder

View solution in original post

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi  @spuder

It should be possible to multiply across three tables without using the LOOKUPVALUE column.

If you create a calculated column in your Assignments table you can use a calculation like this

Column = RELATED('Projects'[Val]) * RELATED('Tasks'[Val]) * Assignments[Val]

This can also be done using a measure, or as a column in one of the higher tables, but you'd need to use RELATEDTABLE and SUM to complete.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@AndyTrezise,

When using a measure, you may also take advantage of CROSSFILTER Function to set cross-filter direction to both.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi  @spuder

It should be possible to multiply across three tables without using the LOOKUPVALUE column.

If you create a calculated column in your Assignments table you can use a calculation like this

Column = RELATED('Projects'[Val]) * RELATED('Tasks'[Val]) * Assignments[Val]

This can also be done using a measure, or as a column in one of the higher tables, but you'd need to use RELATEDTABLE and SUM to complete.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @AndyTrezise

I'm not absolutely sure. But you could try to use

=SUMX(PROJECTS;'Projects'[Number]*RELATED('Tasks'[Number]*RELATED('Assignments'[Number]))

Note: This is only vailid when ONE Project has ONE Task and ONE Assignement. In fact 1:1 relationship.

Greetings spuder

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.