Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

garethterb
Frequent Visitor

Multiply values from two related tables based on the input of a slicer

Hi all I am new to PowerBI and am having trouble with a matrix table.

I am trying to convert the amounts in table based on the currency selected in a slicer i.e.

Table A has 5 colomns namely: Currency (eg USD), Period (eg 201908) Amount (eg 100) and Combine (eg USD201908)

Table B has 5 colomns, namely: CurrencyFrom (eg USD), CurrencyTo(eg EUR), Rate (eg 0.89), Period (eg 201908) and Combine (USD201908).  Table B will have multiple recordes where Currency from is USD but CurrencyTo is different with t a different rate. I then have a slicer that if I select EUR I want output from Table A to be  Amount*Rate (100*0.89). I have tried variaus formulas in measure but keep getting errors.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @garethterb ,

This is a common calculation issue on measure total level, you can take a look at following blog about measure total calculation to fix it:

Measure Totals, The Final Word

If above link not help, please share some sample data and expected result to test.

Regards,
Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
garethterb
Frequent Visitor

I have managed to find a solution to this problem by creating a new Quick Measure on the CurrencyTo filter. The only issue now is that the Colomn subtotal does not add up correctly when there are multiple couomns each with a different base currency e.g. Column 1 = EUR958.47 EUR and column 2 GBP13542.71 when converted to USD the values are 1066.72 and 16484.86 but the subtotal on the column is shown as 33790.50.

HI @garethterb ,

This is a common calculation issue on measure total level, you can take a look at following blog about measure total calculation to fix it:

Measure Totals, The Final Word

If above link not help, please share some sample data and expected result to test.

Regards,
Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks you for this information it is very helpful and has allowed me to do what I need. I must however comment that this has had a considerable effect on the speed that the matrix recalculates when filters are changed. Its also a bit disappointing that these kinds of work arounds need to be done as one would expect a straight forward column total to add up the displayed values and not display seemingly random numbers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.