Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NickPeterson2
Frequent Visitor

Multiply two columns - different tables - with relationship - getting blanks

Hi,

Even though I seem to follow all the rules to miltiply columns from different tables.. I am stuck getting blanks

Example:

I used 'Table1'[A] * RELATED('Table2'[B]) .

However, Power Bi doesn't like the values of column B and I get blanks.

I have established a 1:1 relationship between A and B 

*Values are formatted as numbers

**I've used isblank for both columns and I know that the problem is in column B. 

More info:

multiplicationmultiplication

relationshiprelationshipChance of Fault TableChance of Fault Tabledataset sheet1dataset sheet1dataset sheet2dataset sheet2

Thank you for your time .. really stuck in here ..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @NickPeterson2,

What is the final result you want to achieve?

First of all when you create a relationship between two table they have to have similar data to be connected in your case the information is not matching on both sides so when you make a multiplication the resul is null since there are no common data between both tables.

When you pick up table 1and just looking at the numbers you have:

500 , 400 , 600, 800, 120 

10, 12, 11, 14, 15 

On table 2 you have 5, 6 , 7 ,8, 9 no common numer so it's not possible to create a relationship.

You need to create relationships when you want to get information for one table to the other and there are commom data in .

Check the documentation about relationships to get a understanding of them.

However it does not seem to me that you need a relationship for your purpose. Can you share what you want to achieve and how you want to calculate things?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @NickPeterson2,

According to your description, your relationships mode is 'one to one'. Actually, your tables not has any available fields value to mapping records.

For this scenario, I think it may use blank as relationship key to link two tables, so your calculated column will get blank result.

If your tables are mapping based on row number, I'd like to suggest you add index to both two table then use index to link two tables.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @NickPeterson2,

What is the final result you want to achieve?

First of all when you create a relationship between two table they have to have similar data to be connected in your case the information is not matching on both sides so when you make a multiplication the resul is null since there are no common data between both tables.

When you pick up table 1and just looking at the numbers you have:

500 , 400 , 600, 800, 120 

10, 12, 11, 14, 15 

On table 2 you have 5, 6 , 7 ,8, 9 no common numer so it's not possible to create a relationship.

You need to create relationships when you want to get information for one table to the other and there are commom data in .

Check the documentation about relationships to get a understanding of them.

However it does not seem to me that you need a relationship for your purpose. Can you share what you want to achieve and how you want to calculate things?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi Thank you both for your answers .

It solved the problem by creating a primary key for every table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.