Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bfaws
Helper III
Helper III

Multiply column by another column

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help.  I have two tables - one is my data table that has rows showing attendees on various L&D courses.  The courses themselves can be run multiple times and each time a course is run it is given a new course ID.  This helps me to identify how many times a specific course was run.  For example "Sales Training Course" is a course(column title [COURSE], and each time it is run its given a new ID like "Sales Training Course 01.01.2018" - column title [Course ID]

I also have a seperate lookup table that contains a single entry for each course type [COURSE] and a column showing how much its cost to run this course (column [Course Cost]).

The result I`m looking is essesntially how much its costs to run a specific course if there was only one run or multiple run.  So if the sales course was run 10 times in a month at a cost £1,000 per course then the measure will show £10,000 using the [Course ID] to identify how many times [Course] was run.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brendan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can use an expression like this to get the total cost of all course that includes the # of repeat courses.  This assumes you have a many:1 relationship between your table with courseIDs to the table with the cost of each course.

Total Cost =
SUMX (
    VALUES ( CourseIDTable[CourseName] ),
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( CourseIDTable[CourseID] ) )
        * RELATED ( Courses[CourseCost] )
)

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can use an expression like this to get the total cost of all course that includes the # of repeat courses.  This assumes you have a many:1 relationship between your table with courseIDs to the table with the cost of each course.

Total Cost =
SUMX (
    VALUES ( CourseIDTable[CourseName] ),
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( CourseIDTable[CourseID] ) )
        * RELATED ( Courses[CourseCost] )
)

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat 

Many thanks -with some tweaking I`ve now got the expected result.  Much appreciated.

Brendan

Hi @mahoneypat 

Thanks for the suggestion.

I`ve tried to apply this to my report but when I get to the related part of the function i`m unable to select any options.  Apologies - I`m quite new to DAX and BI.  There is a link in my previous post if that helps.

Thanks,

Brendan

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Bfaws ,

Please share some screesnots around sample data and the desired result.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi @Pragati11 

Thanks for the response. 

Click here for link to .pbix 

The result I`m after is in the image

Course Cost.PNG

Instead I`m getting £1,000 for all entries even when two courses run.

Thanks,

Brendan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.