Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andy_tolle
Regular Visitor

Multiple years of Financial forecasts: differences?

I have a table that contains a bunch of financial forecasts for multiple years. For example purposes, I simplified it to it's bare essence:

PowerBI_community_table_financial_forecasts.png

Note for example that:

PowerBI_community_table_financial_forecasts_similar_forecasts.png

• In the forecast of 2016, for the account number "61", we predicted a budget of 1.200,- for Year+1 (so for the year 2017)
  • In the forecast of 2017, for that same account number "61", we predict that same 1.200,- for the budget of that year (so for the year 2017)
  • So in this case, the "forecast_of_2016" predicts the same amount for 2017 as the "forecast_of_2017" predicts.

What I would like to do, is find the differences between forecasts. For example:

PowerBI_community_table_financial_forecasts_different_forecasts.png

Note how:

• In the "forecast_of_2016", for the account number "61", we predicted a budget of 1.400,- for year+2 (so for the year 2018)
  • In the "forecast_of_2017", for the same account number "61", we predicted a budget of 1.500,- for the year+1 (so for the year 2018)
  • So in this case, the "forecast_of_2016" predicts a different amount for 2018 as the "forecast_of_2018". I'd like to make a report that shows these differences. I'm looking for some help to get the model right.

Maybe an important remark:

• Note how some account numbers are in the "forecast_of_2016" (e.g. "62"), but not in the "forecast_of_2017". That should also mark as a difference
  • Similar: some account numbers are in the "forecast_of_2017" (e.g. "63"), but not in the  "forecast_of_2016". This too should also be mark as a difference

I'd appreciate if you could help me with this. Thanks for reading.

Kind regards,

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@andy_tolle

Firstly, you should unpivot your table like below: 

3.PNG

Then you can create calculated column to get  the PreviousYearForcast: 

PreviousYearForecast =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Forecast] ),
    FILTER (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Year]
            = EARLIER ( 'Table'[Year] ) - 1
            && 'Table'[AccountNumber] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[AccountNumber] )
            && 'Table'[BudgetYear] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[BudgetYear] )
    )
)

Now you just need to use Forecast column minus PreviousYearForecast to get the difference: 

Difference = IF([PreviousYearForecast]=BLANK(),BLANK(),'Table'[Forecast]-'Table'[PreviousYearForecast])

234.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
andy_tolle
Regular Visitor

I have a table that contains a bunch of financial forecasts for multiple years. For example purposes, I simplified it to it's bare essence:

PowerBI_community_table_financial_forecasts.png

Note for example that:

PowerBI_community_table_financial_forecasts_similar_forecasts.png

• In the forecast of 2016, for the account number "61", we predicted a budget of 1.200,- for Year+1 (so for the year 2017)
  • In the forecast of 2017, for that same account number "61", we predict that same 1.200,- for the budget of that year (so for the year 2017)
  • So in this case, the "forecast_of_2016" predicts the same amount for 2017 as the "forecast_of_2017" predicts.

What I would like to do, is find the differences between forecasts. For example:

PowerBI_community_table_financial_forecasts_different_forecasts.png

Note how:

• In the "forecast_of_2016", for the account number "61", we predicted a budget of 1.400,- for year+2 (so for the year 2018)
  • In the "forecast_of_2017", for the same account number "61", we predicted a budget of 1.500,- for the year+1 (so for the year 2018)
  • So in this case, the "forecast_of_2016" predicts a different amount for 2018 as the "forecast_of_2018". I'd like to make a report that shows these differences. I'm looking for some help to get the model right.

Maybe an important remark:

• Note how some account numbers are in the "forecast_of_2016" (e.g. "62"), but not in the "forecast_of_2017". That should also mark as a difference
  • Similar: some account numbers are in the "forecast_of_2017" (e.g. "63"), but not in the  "forecast_of_2016". This too should also be mark as a difference

I'd appreciate if you could help me with this. Thanks for reading.

Kind regards,

Andy

@andy_tolle

Firstly, you should unpivot your table like below: 

3.PNG

Then you can create calculated column to get  the PreviousYearForcast: 

PreviousYearForecast =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Forecast] ),
    FILTER (
        'Table',
        'Table'[Year]
            = EARLIER ( 'Table'[Year] ) - 1
            && 'Table'[AccountNumber] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[AccountNumber] )
            && 'Table'[BudgetYear] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[BudgetYear] )
    )
)

Now you just need to use Forecast column minus PreviousYearForecast to get the difference: 

Difference = IF([PreviousYearForecast]=BLANK(),BLANK(),'Table'[Forecast]-'Table'[PreviousYearForecast])

234.PNG

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.