Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robinHH
Frequent Visitor

Multiple views or one view for Fact and Dimension Tables in SQL Server as Data Source?

Dear Power BI Community,

I have kind of a data-mart in SQL Server which I use to connect the data to Tabular in Visual Studio. For the connection views are created in the database for felxibility reasons. Within the data-mart are several shared dimensions such as DimDate which are used for multiple Tabular Projects in Visual Studio.

My question: Let's take tabular a and tabular b as example tabular models which use the view DimDate as a data source. Would you create one view "DimDate" or would you systematically create one view for every datasource such as "DimDateTabular1" and "DimDateTabular2"?

I am looking forward to your opinion and your arguments.

Kind regards,
Robin

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@robinHH , Is the question for Power BI Data model or SSAS or AAS model ?

@amitchandak , thank you for the reply.

In my opinion the question is similar for all three technologies. So the question is more about architecture best practices in general.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.