Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fherrera
Frequent Visitor

Multiple users working on same pbix file

Hello Community,

Do you know what is the best way to work in the same pbix file (not same time) with different people?

My coworker is focusing in the data model, when she has finished working in the data model and the pbix file is closed, I start working in the visual parts.

Currently, we save a version every time we finished to work like v1.0, then, I save my version with v1.1 and so on, but, there is a better way to work this? Like git or something?

Thank you in advanced for your comments.

Franklin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alexei7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi Franklin,

We haven't found a good alternative way where I work - we do what you're doing.

One small piece of advice is that you could be saving the file as a PBIT instead of PBIX as if you're bringing a lot of data into the model your different versions will end up taking up a lot of space.

PBIT does mean that the model will need to load the data every time you open, so it's a bit of a trade-off.

Alex

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
The_Marc_Rohde
Frequent Visitor

While this is an older message I don't think the question has been adequately addressed and showed up in a top search for me.

The short answer I would give is don't try to share the same PBIX file.  It will only result in conflicts with updates.

If you have multiple people working off the same model for reporting separate the reporting from the model. Use one file to maintain the model and publish it to a workspace. Then each report writer can use the model that is in the workspace as a data source to write reports in their own PBIX file.  As the model is getting changed, as long as it is published over the existing model the reports will inherit the changes.

You will still have an issue if multiple models are trying to model at the same time but this approach at least allows a team to have one modeler to many report writers. You could also run into issues with many report writers if all of them need to add tabs to the same report -- you would still have potential conflicts.

(Note -- I don't recall if this approach was available when the original posters responded.)

As the model is getting changed, as long as it is published over the existing model the reports will inherit the changes.

There's a caveat here. When columns or measures are removed from the model this will break downstream reports until the meta data is synched again, even when the columns are not used.

Why can't it be like cloud Excel where multiple users can work on the same thing at the same time. Reasons like 'because it just can't' aren't reasons, they're bad planning.

Chthonian
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @fherrera ,

I have run into this same conundrum. I have 2 options for you to investigate.

1. Use a sharepoint site and document library and enable versioning control as this may help with the versioning aspect of your question, this will also all for check in and check out of the pbix file to ensure there are no edits made by a person when they are not meant to be working on it.

2. And this is my preferred way of working. Have the Data Modeller publish the work he has completed, then you can connect to the PowerBI  dataset and create your report. This will allow you both to work collaboratively on different aspects of the same Data/Report.

Hope this helps.

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to be the only way to work when you need to do things in the .pbix file. My user is very adept with data and modeling but she can't do the tricky DAX or OLAP functions. I enabled that for her but her experience is with EXCEL and her fallback method of use is to work like in Excel. 

I think versioning and check in check out is the best way to work. 

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @fherrera

You can probably try to work on a collaborative workspace : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-bi/service-collaborate-power-bi-workspace

Not sure that's what you are looking for but that's the only existing option at the moment !

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

So is the only and best way, to share datasets? Shared Datasets 

So as the better data modeler I should just share the data?

You are slightly missing the point. This question is about developer collaboration, not about consistent data models and data source re-use. Those are important too, of course.

Developer collaboration is still hampered by the missing git integration.

alexei7
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi Franklin,

We haven't found a good alternative way where I work - we do what you're doing.

One small piece of advice is that you could be saving the file as a PBIT instead of PBIX as if you're bringing a lot of data into the model your different versions will end up taking up a lot of space.

PBIT does mean that the model will need to load the data every time you open, so it's a bit of a trade-off.

Alex

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.