Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Multiple users modify a power BI file at the same time

Hello

I was wondering if it is possible that there are several users editing the same report at the same time and saving everyone's changes. Whether in power BI desktop or on the web, any method would work for me.

I was reading a post from two years ago, but the links were down and said they were going to introduce it in a later edition.

Thank you very 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @data_operador1 ,

Currently Power BI does not support several users changing the same file at once, either on Desktop or on Web the last to save overwrites the previous ones. It's not simultaneous has excel, word or onenote online.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FedericoPalma

HI,

I have the same problem and was wondering if anything has changed in the meantime compared to the January 2022 answer.

Thank you

Hi @FedericoPalma ,

Since January 2022 a lot has changed especcially in the version control.

You can now have multiple users working on the same file using the PBI Developer mode.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deep-dive-into-power-bi-desktop-developer-mode-preview/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/projects/

Regards

Miguel Félix

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

As MFelix said, if you are trying to have multiple users edit a report and apply changes at the same time, this is currently not possible.
If you are using Power BI Desktop, it only allows one person to edit locally.The reports are unrelated in everyone's hands until they are published to the service.
If you are using Power BI Service, you can add your colleague to the workspace where the report is located or create a new workspace. You must set your colleague's role to a role other than viewer and grant him permission to edit the dataset. In this case, different people can view the report and edit it at the same time, but when they edit it, the unsaved report is not updated in real time and it can overwrite other people's actions or make other people's actions meaningless in the current report.

It is by design. If you want to achieve your needs,you can submit an idea on the Power BI Idea forum  and wait for users who share your needs to vote for you to help you implement the feature as soon as possible.

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @data_operador1 ,

Currently Power BI does not support several users changing the same file at once, either on Desktop or on Web the last to save overwrites the previous ones. It's not simultaneous has excel, word or onenote online.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.