Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple reports using single Power BI Desktop file

Hi All,

In Power BI Service we can create multiple reports using single dataset/data connection.
All reports are tied to only one dataset.

How to achieve same using Power BI Desktop ? can we create multiple reports using one dataset/data connection in single PBIX file ?

One way could be creating single report in PBIX and publish it , then use same dataset connection for new reports but in Power BI Service.But in this way I will not be able to utilize more features available in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks, Nilesh

5 REPLIES 5
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

The majority of my reports come from a single source file. I simply create multiple pages within that report and pull them apart on powerbi.com and save them as separate reports. My source file has about 30 pages but the reports average about 5 each. Many reuse the same page but have changes saved from the app.

To add more calculations I simply replace the source file prior to an update.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

How do you 'pull them apart'? I have my PBIX source file with multiple pages in there. I would like to splitthem apart when I publish the file to my workspace. 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Yes, it is possible for you to create multiple reports connect to one dataset in Power BI Desktop. The very first thing for you is to connect to Data in Power BI desktop, then you can connect to the same dataset when you work with different reports in Power BI Desktop. 

I don't think the moderator understood the question. The answer did not help at all.

Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

Great question.  One thing that I have been thinking about, and doing some testing, is something along this scenario.  Have you used the Dashboard yet?  When you publish a report to app.PowerBI.com, you can Pin objects to a dashboard.  The first time, you create the Dashboard.  When you go to publish the next report, you can pin objects to a dahsboard, and you can choose which dashboard.  Try pinning multiple objects from multiple reports to the same dashboard.  The objects are not live, but this might get you what you are looking for.

Nate

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.