Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abdul_rehman
Frequent Visitor

Multiple reports on one dataset

Hi,

I started exploring Power BI and imported data (using Excel). I did modeling by creating certain relations between Fact and multiple dimensions (In Power BI Desktop) and finally made a report and published it. All good till now.

Now i tried to make another report on same data and relations and i found out that one pbix file can only have one report. Which means that I have below two options if i need to make multiple reports

1. import data and model it all over again each time you need a different report

2. Duplicate your pbix file using Save As

Is that it? How will it work when I connect it to my DWH DB? Will I have to duplicate my pbix each time i need a new report?

Please correct my understanding. Thanks.

Regards,

ARK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Yulgu,

Thank you for the reply.

I'm afraid I couldn't put my question properly.

In Power BI Desktop, we have two tabs on left (Report and Relationship) in case of direct query to DB. So on Report Tab i was only able to make one report with multiple pages.

I wanted to make multiple single page reports. This is not possible in Power BI Desktop. For this, I had to switch to Power BI Service (through browser). There, you just click on your dataset and Report tab will open. Make a report, then save it and you can make another report by clicking on your data set.

Thank you again guys for replying.

ARK

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BLemay
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I know it's an old trend, but I had the same question. If you want to use two pbix files to create 2 different reports but only have one database to refresh. You can publish the first report, it will publish your database, after that when you create your second report click on "get data" and pick your first database from PowerBI. You won't be able to play in your powerquey but when published it will be linked to your original database and won't create a new set of data to refresh.

2019-08-23_9-42-51.png

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @abdul_rehman,

As CheenuSing said, there is no restrictions on number of reports or visuals that are built based on same dataset. 

In one pbix file, we are able to create multiple reports. If you need a different report page, you can click the plus sign button at the bottom toolbar. All the pages can reference to the datasets imported into Power BI Desktop.

But, if you were saying different pbix files rather than different reports, it is not available to use same dataset and relations, you have to import data again when you create a new pbix file.

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yulgu,

Thank you for the reply.

I'm afraid I couldn't put my question properly.

In Power BI Desktop, we have two tabs on left (Report and Relationship) in case of direct query to DB. So on Report Tab i was only able to make one report with multiple pages.

I wanted to make multiple single page reports. This is not possible in Power BI Desktop. For this, I had to switch to Power BI Service (through browser). There, you just click on your dataset and Report tab will open. Make a report, then save it and you can make another report by clicking on your data set.

Thank you again guys for replying.

ARK

Hi ARK,

I had exactly the same problem as you are describing and I have found a solution. The solution you are looking for is to connect to a dataset with Power BI Service as data source. This feature was introduced in the April 2017 release and is still a preview feature, so you need to activate it under options --> options and settings --> Preview features --> Power BI Service live connection

Having activated this, you can select your own (or also other) datasets as data source and create reports based on that dataset in Power BI Desktop. When you publish it, a new report is created in the workspace, but no new dataset.

For more information see the following link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets/

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @abdul_rehman

As such there is no restrictions on number of reports / charts you can build using same data set.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing

Thank you for your reply.

I was hoping that there would be some better way where you do your modelling once and build reports on top of that. While in this case, every report has different dataset and you can only build one report per dataset.

Thank you again.

Regards,

ARK

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.