Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

murfih
Regular Visitor

Multiple reports connected to same dataset: Cannot load model error

Hi,

Recently we've started using the same dataset for multiple reports.

At first sporadically and now almost constantly when opening the desktop file of a report connected to the dataset (but not the original desktop file containing the dataset) Power BI desktop will crash.

An error message (below) opens repeatedly and Power BI has to be closed via Task Manager.

The only solution we have found to this is to remove the dataset from the online service, reupload it and then reconnect the desktop files to the dataset.

Other details:

The dataset desktop file is approx. 16Mb big.

We have multiple users in the workspace, but only 2 uploading and amending reports.

There are no gateways set up.

The dataset pulls from Excel files and an MS Access query.

The dataset is not deleted, renamed, or moved when the error occurs.

Error message:

Cannot Load model

We couldn't connect to your model in the Power BI Service. The dataset may have been deleted, renamed, moved or it is possible you don't have permission to access it.

No OLE DB Error information found.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe i have discovered the problem and solution to this issue.  Over the last few months, Microsoft has been updating how datasets can be shared and accessed across Workspaces.  There are some tenancy level restrictions that can be put in around this, but also some additional restrictions that can be placed around datasets directly.  Users need the "build" permission to access a dataset in Power BI Desktop.

From what I can tell, when you upload this model the "build" permission is not always given.  For datasets that i've had there for a while my username already has "App, Reshare, Build".  On my development model, which is newer, I only had "Read, Reshare".

To fix the issue you need to do the following:

1. Navigate to the workspace using the Power BI Service with your web browser
  2. Find your Dataset and look for the "Manage Permissions" option.  You'll find this in the ... menu
  3. Look for your username in the list and select the ... menu on your data row
  4. Select the "Add Build" option.
  5. Open your PBIX file that connects to this dataset.  This should now work.

My model was working yesterday, but not today.  I'll do some more monitoring to see if the build permission is being stripped periodically.  This issue is appearing for me in the older style of workspace, so that might be part of the issue.

In case someone stumbles on this in the future, my username is part of the tenancy dataset certifiers so that part of the tenancy options should not be causing any issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a promised follow up.  I've attempted to load my 'live connected' file that connects to the problematic data model.  Today the same error has occured again.  Very curious.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @murfih ,

If I understand your scenario correctly that when you get data from power bi service with Power BI Dataset connector in power bi desktop, it will show errors and crash?

If so,I cannot reproduce your issue by my test, please check if you have installed the latest version of power bi desktop firstly.

In addition, do you have this issue for other dataset in power bi service or only this one?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Yes you're correct with your understanding.

Currently we've only experienced the issue with this dataset, but we're only using this dataset connected to multiple reports. We tried to replicate it with another dataset, but without knowing what was causing it we could not.

We have altered how we distribute our reports by removing everyone from the workspace and having them access the reports via the app. Since then the issue hasn't reoccured, but we have been using the desktop files much less since, so it may be coincidence.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting this issue as well.  Just started happening with a data model I've had for a while.  Fortunately its my "development" model.  In this case i've separated my data model file and my report file.  These reports are sitting in an old type workspace, which might be relevant.

Power BI doesn't actually crash, it just spawns 15 to 20 error messages, with more messages if you let it sit.

Getting through those messages, i can attempt to reselect the data model and when I do, i get the next 15 to 20 "We couldn't connect to your model in the Power BI Service.  The dataset may have been deleted, renamed, moved, or its possible that you don't have permission to access it.
No OLE DB Error Information Found."

I have a 2nd model in that same workspace, which is the production version.  If I change the data source to point to that one, everything works.  If i point it then back to the dev model, it fails again.

I've next tried deleting the model and publishing that model again.  This has caused the report to connect and work again.  I'll report back if this breaks again in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.