Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmalopez
Frequent Visitor

Multiple lines text data extraction

I have a column with several comments rows. Each row of this column contains several lines of text with a structure with product records like this:

2018-11-21 12:22:15 - Product x ( Comment)

Here can appear any comments

2018-11-20 13:49:41 - Product x (Comment)

Here again can appear any comments

2018-11-17 16:42:41 - Product y (Comment)

2018-11-16 11:29:11 - Product a (Comment)

So this column has multiple lines of comments but always there is a header with a date and Product name. There isn no limit to number of products records that can appear and also can appear repeated products (with different dates and times). Products can be related to two different categories, Category 1 (I have a column named Category 1 with all posible product values for this category) and Category 2 (I have another column named Category 2 with all possible product values for this category).

Latest category products, by record time, is always category 2, but some times may be only category 1 records.

What I need is to extract all product records (removing other comments), check moment when products records changes from Category 1 to Category 2 (it can happen only once) and create two colums, one with this last product record for Category 1 and other with product record for Category 2 (just records, no comments). I want to use this columns data to measure the time elapsed between product change from Category 1 to Category 2.

I hope to have been clear with my explanations and thank you so much for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cmalopez ,

1.Split the column as the picture below. 

Capture.PNG

2. Split the Column1.2 based on "C", then we can get the result as below.

2.PNG

M code for your reference.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("dcrNCkBAFAbQV/maFWXKd42/u/UC9pOFsESJ4u1tZ4qzPt4bydlY0gpBURFlCYv+2OdrOnEjQbev67KdqRmyoOdgoa5Vx7h/btZgpU7i/fztCqRKqwz3GO7hBQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"-"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type datetime}, {"Column1.2", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Column1.2", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"("}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false), {"Column1.2.1", "Column1.2.2"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Column1.2.1", type text}, {"Column1.2.2", type text}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type2",{"Column1.2.2"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thank you so much, but this is not what I need. I will paste a better example. In this table in column Work notes you can see that we have several lines with different support logs. We have two different support levels Level 1 and Level 2. I need to measure elapsed times every time that there is an assignment from Level 1 to Level 2 (I need to know assignment time). Level 2 people are from Stark house xD, so you can see what should appear in Last Level 1 log, Level 2 log and Elapsed time colums. In the first two rows, there are not  yet Level 2 assigned (no Stark log) but in the last row there is a Sansa log so that are the values that should appear. To check if a person is from Level 1 or Level 2 support I have two tables tLvl1 and tLvl2. So I should search Work notes column looking for all support logs and find the moment where there is an escalation between Level 1 and Level 2.

Thank you so much.

Work notes                                              Last Level 1 log             Level 2 log                              Assignment time 

2019-04-17 17:19:50 - Varys (Work notes)
Dear Global Level 2 support team,

Could you please assist?
Thank you,

Kind regards,
Support

2019-04-17 17:03:47 - Jaime Lannister (Work notes)
Ticket Escalated.

Dear Local Level 1 support team,

Could you please assist?
Kindly

Best regards,

2019-04-17 17:02:14 - Jaime Lannister (Work notes)
Assigned to me.
Short description and description fields updated.
2019-04-17 17:19:50 - Varysnot yet assigned 
2019-04-17 16:33:51 - Robert Baratheon (Work notes)
Dear Global Level 2 support team,

Could you please assist?
Thank you for your efforts.

Best Regards,

2019-04-17 16:24:10 - Theon Greyjoy (Work notes)
Ticket escalated.
-e-mail sent to user informing about the escalation.

2019-04-17 16:22:52 - Jaime Lannister (Work notes)
Assigned to me.
short description and description updated.

KA used: No KBA found

Troubleshooting:
Escalated to Local Level 1 support team

Suggested resolver group: Local Level 1 support team

Next action: Escalation of the ticket.

2019-04-17 16:02:48 - Viserys Targaryen (Work notes)
Assigned to Agent
2019-04-17 16:33:51 - Robert Baratheonnot yet assigned 
2019-04-16 16:07:34 - Sansa Stark (Work notes)
Problems with the POS system.

2019-04-13 11:48:07 - Tyrion Lannister (Work notes)
Dear Team,

Price of item is incorrect
Screenshot attached
Could you please assist?
Thank you,

Kind regards,
Local Level 1 support team

2019-04-13 11:32:32 -Khal Drogo (Work notes)
Sent mail about escalation
Set to L2

2019-04-13 11:31:42 - Melisandre (Work notes)
KA used: No KBA Found

Troubleshooting:
Restarted services,
Renamed transfer file,
Integrated the transfer file,
Restarted WST,

Suggested resolver group: Local Level 1 support team

Next action: Escalation
2019-04-13 11:48:07 - Tyrion Lannister2019-04-16 16:07:34 - Sansa StarkElapsed time between Sansa log and Tyrion log
cmalopez
Frequent Visitor

Hello again.

If possible I would prefer to use a power query solution.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.