Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple level Hierarchy/Drilldown

I am currently struggling to format a chart with multiple levels of hierarchical data. An example of this data is 

1. Operations
    1. Air & Climate
      1. Greenhouse Gas Emissions
      2. Outdoor Air Quality
    2. Buildings 
      1. Building Operations 

Where "Operations" = "Air & Climate" + "Buildings" and "Air & Climate" = "Greenhouse Gas Emissions

" + "Outdoor Air Quality"  and so on.... 

Now with saying these categories described above are all values for different schools. I currently have each school per row and each one of the categories (with no difference between eachother regardless of hiearchy) seperated in columns. I am struggling to format my chart in a way that I can kind of drill down looking at total "Operations" then "Air & Climate" and "Buildings" and then to "Greenhouse Gas Emissions" and so on. If anyone has any suggestions on how to format this PLEASE do not hesitate to reach out. 

Thank you!! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous

check out the file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiiWkkwHZChHjzGtI-Xx9wDMAKfG

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

View solution in original post

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please refer to the online documents as below.

Understanding Functions for Parent-Child Hierarchies in DAX

PATH Function (DAX)

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please refer to the online documents as below.

Understanding Functions for Parent-Child Hierarchies in DAX

PATH Function (DAX)

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will have to modelate your tables in order to get these categories in rows instead of in columns. May be you can create a table with all the categories and make a relation between schools (with the lowest level category in a row ) and your dimension table called categories.

CATEGORY 1     CATEGORY 2     CATEGORY 3                                                SCHOOL ID         CATEGORY 3

A                    AA                    AAA                                                                 X                         AAA

A                     AA                    AAB                                                                 Y                          BBA

A                     AB                    ABA               ------------------------->            Z                         ABA

B                     BA                    BAA

B                     BB                    BBA

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

markross92..... 

I apologize if I am misunderstanding but if I only have my lowest level of data present then I would not be able to drilldown through? For example having a bar chart with just total "Operation" for each school, then drill to "Air&Climate" and "Buildings" for each school and so on. 

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

what does your data table looks like?

also, what does the whole hierarchy look like?

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

LivioLanzo...... 

My data table: 

School ID     Operations    Air&Climate    GreenhouseGas    OutdoorAirQuality    Buildings    BuildingOperations

School A      A                         AA                   AAA                       AAAA                        AB                 ABB 

School B     

School C 

where, 

A= AA+AB

AA = AAA+AAAA

AB=ABB 

There are more sections to the hiearchy but they follow this same type of format. I figure if I can understand how this set of data should be formatted I will be able to apply it to the other categories. 

Hope this helps, thanks! 

@Anonymous

check out the file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiiWkkwHZChHjzGtI-Xx9wDMAKfG

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Took a look an thank you so much for providing that, it was extremly helpful.

I was wondering though if you could link me to some documentation or further explain how the path column works in your items table? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.