Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple filter objects for selecting several rows from the same column

I want to have a number of filters for different groups or "Families" of attributes.
So I want to have multipe selections on the one column which are grouped into different filters.

For ex my table may contain:

AttributeFamily
hathat
caphat
sunhathat
wedding hathat
longdress
shortdress
middle lengthdress
above kneedress
longcoat
with beltcoat
with zipcoat
waterproofcoat

I want to choose and show one attribute from each "Family" in a table

I have made 3 filter objects.

In the "Hat" filter visual I have filtered the attibute column with "Hat Family" and one can choose from "hat", "cap", "sunhat" and "wedding"

In the "Dress" filter visual I have filtered only "Dress" Family one can choose from "long" short" "midle length" and "above knee"

In the "Coat" filter visual I have filtered "Coat" Family and one can choose from "long", "with belt" "zip" or "waterproof"

BUT if I for ex choose "cap" in my Hat filter, I am unable to choose anything from the other filters.

I want to be able to choose one attribute from each filter family as:

Goaanna_0-1665609850969.png

As it is now I can only have one row at a time seeing as I can only choose one attribute from all my filter visuals.

But I want to have one selection from each filter visual so my table has one row showing each selection:

Table
cap
long
with belt

Ultimately I want to show how many and which collections have these attributes. For example 2 collections, XC54 and YU43 contain a cap, a long dress and a coat with a belt.

Very grateful for help with this. Thanks in advance, Anna.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up making a new table for each family, then I could have one slicer per family.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shaurya
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous,

Just create one slicer and add both family and attribute fields in it, keeping attribute lower in the heirarchy.

Screenshot 2022-10-13 033130.jpg

Works for you? Mark this post as a solution if it does!
Consider taking a look at my blog: Forecast Period - Graphical Comparison 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, that is an alternative, but my real data has up to 30 attributes per family so I cannot have them expanded. I would prefer to be able to have one filter object per family. Then it is easier to search per family and one can easily see what chioces are made per family. I was thinking maybe there is some way of pivoting the data and connecting a copy of the table that way...but I can't get my head around it! Or perhaps using an "ALL" function so I can select several attributes at a time but I can'tget my head around that either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up making a new table for each family, then I could have one slicer per family.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.