Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sreekanth2020
Regular Visitor

Multiple fields link using parameter

Hi All,

I was new to Power BI.

I was struct in a scenario, how to link from parameter to database.Below is formatt of my data.

Table                                                               Parameter1

Region,                                                              Region,
State,                                                                State,
District,                                                             District
Sub-District,

Sales

Now my requiremnt is I have to link my paramter to database table.

When ever i select a filed in paramter my chart has to pass selected field values & againest that plot the sales.
Ex.
1. If i select region in parameter region wise sales has to populater.
2.If if select state in parameter state wise sales has to populate.

3.Ifi i select district in parameter District wise sales has to populate,

Thanks in advance..

Warm regards,
Venkata Sreekanth.

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sreekanth2020,

The table in database has Region, State, District, Sub-District, Sales columns, and the Parameter include the Region, State, District values, right? If it is, we are not able to use parameter. The values in parameter must come from the rows in table. While the values you listed are the column name rather than values in rows. For example, the first picture is table wanted to create the report. You can create a parameter like the second screenshot, the repot is filter by country A when you select A in parameter. Here is an article which can help you better understanding for the parameter clearly.

1.png2.png

As you described, the plot display tendency of sales according to Region, State, or District, but what’s the horizontal level? Based on my understanding, if select the region, the plot shows region on x-axis and the rales on y-axis. Which the x-axis will change when you select the District. The report’s structure is changed. It’s inconsequent, it same report should be filtered by the what you want.

Please share more details or sample data for further analysis.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for your quick help !!!

I'm expecting the relationship between Paramter and DataTable is One-to-Many.

What ever you have mention in example covers the One-to-One relationship.

If you have any article or sample file which covers the One-to-Many relationship please share with me.

Coming to your question..
On X-axis i want to place the parameters & Y-axis Sum(Sales)

If i do selection as "Region" in paramter my x-axis has to populate all regions(Like:East,West,South,Cental,North).
If i select State my x-axis has to populate all states..

Thanks in advance.....

Regards,
Venkata Sreekanth

Hi @sreekanth2020

The important is not One-to-One or One-to-many relationship. The description and example given are used to explain that it’s unsuitable to use parameter for your requirement. The values in parameter must come from the rows in table rather than column name. In your scenario, you want to create a parameter including Region, State, Distinct which are columns in Table.

When you select Region, you want to filter the column. All the filter and parameter in PowerBI are to rows in Table. You’d better study the article which introduce the usage the parameter and application scene.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.