Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MAXI279
Frequent Visitor

Multiple fact tables for the same dimensions in tabular

Hi, im making a tabular model to use in Power BI and i have more than one fact table related, (Orders, sales, shippings) and all the tables are related to the Client, Items, Calendar dimensions but I can only use these with one of the fact tables because the tabular model allows me only one active relationship. How can i solve this?

- I am trying not to create multiple sets of dimensions for each table of fact

-everytime that i would like to make reference to a dimension which isnt active use DAX USERELATIONSHIP expression into a measure but what about an item description? 
-I also thinking to migrate the project to a multidimensional model but I do not know if I will solve the problem cause I do not have much experience.

I would like to know a better solution from this great community

Thanks! and sorry for my bad English.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue with Mutliple facts and multiple dimensions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Praveen,

Fact tables should not be related together : dimension table are related to Fact tables. If you need to relate fact, then you should ask yourself : what is the exact need ? Could I create a new dimension to express the need, and then I will relate this new dimension to multiple fact tables, which is of course always possible (except if data is buggy). Does this help ? 
Please look at the  Microsoft GuyinACube video on multiple dimensions and multiple fact tables. 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@MAXI279  it will be easier to understand how to help you if you provide more information.

what exactly do you want to do that you are not able to do?  can you show me what your relationship view looks like, it sounds to me like maybe something else is going on please screen shot your relationship view

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hello @vanessafvg, thanks for your answer, below I attach an image of my tabular model. I can correctly analyze each of the fact tables separately using the dimension tables but I am having problems when using the non-active relationships cause I am not able to relate Shipments with Sales that are linked through Deliveries by two non-active relationships . How can i do this?

Tabular modelTabular model
Am I using the DAX USERELATIONSHIP function correctly?
Shipment Date = CALCULATE(MAX(Shipments[dt-embarque]);USERELATIONSHIP(Shipments[nr-embarque];Delivery[nr-embarque]))

Thanks for you collaboration 🙂

Lizzi
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. Have you found a solution since?

MAXI279
Frequent Visitor

Hi, im making a tabular model to use in Power BI and i have more than one fact table related, (Orders, sales, shippings) and all the tables are related to the Client, Items, Calendar dimensions but I can only use these with one of the fact tables because the tabular model allows me only one active relationship. How can i solve this?

- I am trying not to create multiple sets of dimensions for each table of fact

-everytime that i would like to make reference to a dimension which isnt active use DAX USERELATIONSHIP expression into a measure but what about an item description? 
-I also thinking to migrate the project to a multidimensional model but I do not know if I will solve the problem cause I do not have much experience.

I would like to know a better solution from this great community

Thanks! and sorry for my bad English.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maxi,

Did you solve your multifact table issue ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.