Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

muneern
Frequent Visitor

Multiple (duplicate) concurrent API calls

Hi All,

I have a query that uses a function to call the JIRA Api.  This query (JIRA Issues) is then referenced by other queries:

Query Hierarchy.png
The problem is that when the data for my report is being refreshed, Power BI is making the same request to the API multiple times:

Fiddler Output.png

What seems to be happening is that instead of fetching the result once for the parent query and using the result set for the subsequent queries, it is fetching the data multiple times.  This is obviously causing unnecessary strain on the JIRA server. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Muneer

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was facing same issue of Power query making multiple connection to the sourcce instead of fetching data from the parent table\query1 and came accros this post. The solution provided by microsoft was to use DATA FLOW in power bi service, once data flow is created for query1 that becomes your source in power bi desktop, any sub/reference/duplicate queries will go to the data flow and fetch the data instead of going to the source.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/power-query-referenced-queries

aduval

@muneern Did you get a resolution to this issue? I am having the same probem. 

Hi,

Unfortunately I did not find a resolution to this issue.  When/If I do, I'll update this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You may find some value in employing Table.Buffer.

See this link for more info

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Improve-Query-Reference-performance-for-large-tables...

v-jianhe-msft
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

How is your query like to call the API? Also, you could try wiht storing the data that you've already retrieved either in a "non-refreshable"-query in the query-editor.  You could refer to  How to disable an api call? 

Best Regards,

Henry 

Thank you for the response -- but the more I think about this, the more I think that this is a bug. 

When Power BI refereshes data queries which have underlying references to other queries, they should wait until the referenced query has processed rather than cause duplicate processing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.