Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SillyJam123
Frequent Visitor

Multiple dimension report

Hi,

I need to create a report that has multiple dimensions and one measure. For example, continent -> country -> state --> city -> revenue OR Vertical -> portfolio -> sub portfolio -> project category -> budget approved. How can such scenarios be achieved 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SillyJam123,

You can insert a matrix preview and add corresponding columns into Rows section like below. By click the button on the top left which is highlighted in red, you can drill ddown to each level.

1.PNG

If you cannot see the matrix preview in Visualizations pane, Please go to File -> Options and Settings -> Options.

2.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SillyJam123
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @jmdh Yes, your understanding is correct. I am attaching a sample data I created. Could you guide what is the new matrix you advised. 

VerticalsPortfolioSub-PortfolioBudget ApprovedProject PhaseProject CategoryProject ID
Vertical1P1S11100PP1C11
Vertical1P1S11200PP1C12
Vertical1P2P21300PP1C13
Vertical1P2P22100PP1C14
Vertical1P3P31100PP1C15
Vertical2P1P11100PP1C16
Vertical2P1P12100PP2C17
Vertical2P2P22100PP2C18
Vertical2P3P31400PP2C19
Vertical2P3P32700PP2C110
Vertical2P4P41100PP3C211
Vertical2P4P41100PP3C212
Vertical3P1P11100PP3C213
Vertical3P1P11100PP3C214
Vertical3P1P11100PP3C215
Vertical4P1P23100PP3C216
Vertical4P5P51100PP4C217
Vertical5P1P23100PP4C218
Vertical5P1P23100PP4C219
Vertical5P1P23100PP5C220
Vertical5P6P611000PP5C321
Vertical5P7P712000PP5C322
Vertical5P7P72100PP5C323
Vertical5P7P73100PP5C324

Hi @SillyJam123,

You can insert a matrix preview and add corresponding columns into Rows section like below. By click the button on the top left which is highlighted in red, you can drill ddown to each level.

1.PNG

If you cannot see the matrix preview in Visualizations pane, Please go to File -> Options and Settings -> Options.

2.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SillyJam123,

Please elaborate your scenario with more detailed information. You could post sample data and describe your desired output with an image so that I can understand your requirement more clearly.

What did you mean 'a report has multiple dimensions'? How about grouping data or drilldown? Currently, if you need to group data with a multi-dimention structure, you can consider using a Matrix to display data. If you would like a drilldown action, you can use a Matrix preview or chart visual.  

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft for writing. I want to create report showing the budget allocated for a each Sub-Project. A company has Vertical as HR, Infrastructure, IT. A Vertical again has various departments. Each Department is again classified into Accounts. Each Account has various Projects. Each Project has sub-projects. How can I show the Budget by Vertical and Department and Account and Project and Sub-projects?

If i understood you, you want to show budgets par broad categories and then zoom in (sevarl times)

I would think a ccombination of Herarchy and the new Matrix visual in Preview should do.

If you had sample data i could check.

JM

Hi I was about to post the sample solution, but i see an other community member has been faster than me.

Thanks.

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft and @jmdh. Is it possible to have something like below:

PP1PP2PP3PP4
Vertical by Portfolio by Sub-Portfolio1020315

Here Vertical by Portfolio by Sub-Portfolio is expandable something like Hierarchy, and counts under the Project Phase (PP1,PP2...) varies as we expand/collapse?

Hi @SillyJam123,

Curently, expand/collapse is not a supported functionality for visual. This requirement cannot be achieved now.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

hi @v-yulgu-msft how can we add images to table view? I got image filter as part of chiclet slicer, now I want to show those in the table.

Hi @SillyJam123,

To show images in table visual, you should store the image URL into data view table, and set its category to "Image URL".

1.PNG

Have you resolved your original problem? If so, please kindly mark the corresponding reply as an answer so that it can benefit some other users. If you have some more questions about creating Power BI reports, please post your questions as a new thread so that you can get more help from more community members.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.