Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple csv files inside Folder | Data corruption Troubleshooting

I am not sure why this is happening, so I will describe the whole process, and perhaps you can help me out, give some tips to debug the report or something.

The process

I have 4 separate folders, one for each customer.

inside each there are CSV files with data export. each day we make an export and add the file to the folder.

the csv files have an identical structure in terms of columns although they are from multiple instances.

i modify the query for each data source as follows:

initially when setting up the report, instead of loading the source i edit the query. 

i combine the files in the folder. this is done by editing the query and clicking on the first column, there are 2 arrows pointing downward in right side of the first column. Power BI then combines the records from all files in this folder into one list

remove extra columns from the resulting table (by selecting the ones i want and Remove Other Columns) and only keep 3 (Date in format mm / dd / yyyy, Record ID, Test Outcome Name)

Record ID is only unique within the same folder. because it is for that customer. But another customer can have the same record IDs too, and those would be attributed to another customer based on the folder, as i am about to explain.

Then i select Record ID column and:

- remove blank rows

- remove duplicates

then i go to the table of this source and add a column Customer Name = 'XXX'

after all that i made a Union table and run reports off it, this way i can identify each customer Test Results based on the added column.

The problem

the tables for each customer have values in the Date column that are non existent in the CSV files. all our dates have only mm/dd/2017 but the resulting table has 4160 for the year!!! which is also shown in data slicer when i use the resulting date column from the union table. this is not for all values but only some....

also it looks like the Record ID values are also some of them are non existent in the CSV files.

The question

how do i troubleshoot this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the issue was only in the resulting Union table, like I said. And there is not way for me to see any data lineage.. so I found a workaround and I hope it helps somebody.

I simply added another column and manually set it to comply to a date format. See my formula:

Real Date = 'Customer A'[End Date].[MonthNo]&"/"&'Customer A'[End Date].[Day]&"/"&'Customer A'[End Date].[Year]

The result was astonishing. Next to a column Date that said Wednesday, November 1, 4017 I created Real Date and the value was proper (11/29/2017)

So I am using my "Real Date" column for the Slicer and it works like magic.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the issue was only in the resulting Union table, like I said. And there is not way for me to see any data lineage.. so I found a workaround and I hope it helps somebody.

I simply added another column and manually set it to comply to a date format. See my formula:

Real Date = 'Customer A'[End Date].[MonthNo]&"/"&'Customer A'[End Date].[Day]&"/"&'Customer A'[End Date].[Year]

The result was astonishing. Next to a column Date that said Wednesday, November 1, 4017 I created Real Date and the value was proper (11/29/2017)

So I am using my "Real Date" column for the Slicer and it works like magic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Note : the issue might be only in the union table. Because the other tables that resulted from importing the files don't seem to have those values of year 4160 etc..

Here is the query that i use for the unified table, which i later use in report visuals: 

Unified Customers Table = UNION ('Customer Table1','customer Table2','Customer Table 3')

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Sort the date column to find out the records of year 4160.

2. Check the data type of the columns Date. Make sure they are dates.

Can you share your pbix file please? You can mask the confidential part first and send me a private message.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft (Dale),

Thanks for your help, I checked the date again, yes, all was set properly to the format date. The workaround is like i said in this thread.

Best,

G

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.