Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple columns for map graph

Hi guys!

I am making a database of scientific articles. There are usually a few authors from various countries for a single article. 

For example, an article includes authors from the USA, UK, Germany.

I prepared a database containing the USA, UK, and Germany in different columns (country1, country2, and country3 respectively).

I am trying to choose Country1, Country2, and Country3 to map all of them, but the Power BI shows only the USA (e.g. country 1 column). 

Is there any option to merge countries to show all of them on the map? If yes, which delimiter should be used (space, comma...)?

Is there any option to link a few columns to build a map? 

Please advice. 

Best wishes,

Alisa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

in order to show everything at once, all the countries should be in a country-column. If you put a single column for each country you will have a hard time to analyze things.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

in order to show everything at once, all the countries should be in a country-column. If you put a single column for each country you will have a hard time to analyze things.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @selimovd thanks! I actually solved it, but putting all countries in a single column and then I did a split by rows in power BI database. 

But now I have another question. How to do a map, showing the number of mentioned China, USA, Russia and etc? 

Sorry, I am very new to the power BI 🙂 

Hey @Anonymous ,

I'm happy you could solve it.

Then just use one of the map visuals:

selimovd_0-1627311688471.png

There you can use either Longitude and Latitude or put the country in the location field.

Here a few more details about the visuals:

Tips and Tricks for maps (including Bing Maps integration) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @selimovd !  probably did not explain my question correctly. 

I did a map without any problem. But now I want to highlight the number of mentions of each country, like that (I added numbers in paint): 

Power BI question.png 

Hey @Anonymous ,

sadly, that is not possible at the moment for the filled map.

There is already an idea, but it needs more votes:

Microsoft Idea  · Static value labels on filled maps (powerbi.com)

Otherwise you can use the "Size" in the map visual, but this doesn't have the nice shapes of the countries. Probably other custom visuals support that feature, but at the moment I'm not aware of such a visual.

Sorry about that.

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.