Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vhisa

Multiple Y-axis on a line graphic

Hi all, I'm new to Power BI and hopefully I can get some advice on my problem.

I would like to be able to have a time series plot with multiple lines and each line should have its own Y-axis. Something similar to this:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/gCIBN.png

The tricky part is that the selection of the properties to display should be something dynamic for the user. Let me give you some more details.

I have these two tables:

SENSOR_ATTRIBUTE

ATTRIBUTE_IDSENSOR_IDATTRIBUTE_NAMEUNIT_MEASUREMENT
A01S01pressurepascal
A02S01temperaturecelsius
A03S02pressurepascal
A04S02temperaturecelsius

HISTORICAL_VALUE

ATTRIBUTE_IDSAMPLE_TIMEVALUE
A012020-08-24 9:00101325
A012020-08-24 12:00102421
A012020-08-24 15:00105332
A022020-08-24 9:0023
A022020-08-24 12:0018
A022020-08-24 15:0015

Then in the report, I have this matrix:

SENSORPRESSURE(avg)TEMPERATURE(avg)(other attributes...)
S0110302618.6 
S0210227327.1 

The idea is that when the user selects a sensor row (ie S02) in the graphic it should be showing 2 lines, one for the pressure and another for the temperature, each one with its own y-axis.

Any ideas or suggestions on how can achieve this?

Thanks!

Vanesa.

4 REPLIES 4
vhisa

@amitchandak , @parry2k 

In that case, both attributes (for the two Y-series) should be defined at design time? is that right?

Because in my case, since different sensors can have different set of attributes i can't define a fixed attribute. It should be depending on the user's selection at run/view time.

@vhisa you use measures to show the values on both the Y-axis, so whatever logic you will build in your measure that use on the axis will reflect on the visual, make sense?

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@vhisa You can have maximum 2 series, one on the left and one on the right. Maybe there is a custom visual that allows more than two y-axis but I'm not aware of any. You can look at market place but out of the box, visuals don't allow more than 2 axis.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.