cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Y-axis on a line graphic

Hi all, I'm new to Power BI and hopefully I can get some advice on my problem.

I would like to be able to have a time series plot with multiple lines and each line should have its own Y-axis. Something similar to this:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/gCIBN.png

The tricky part is that the selection of the properties to display should be something dynamic for the user. Let me give you some more details.

I have these two tables:

SENSOR_ATTRIBUTE

ATTRIBUTE_IDSENSOR_IDATTRIBUTE_NAMEUNIT_MEASUREMENT
A01S01pressurepascal
A02S01temperaturecelsius
A03S02pressurepascal
A04S02temperaturecelsius

HISTORICAL_VALUE

ATTRIBUTE_IDSAMPLE_TIMEVALUE
A012020-08-24 9:00101325
A012020-08-24 12:00102421
A012020-08-24 15:00105332
A022020-08-24 9:0023
A022020-08-24 12:0018
A022020-08-24 15:0015

Then in the report, I have this matrix:

SENSORPRESSURE(avg)TEMPERATURE(avg)(other attributes...)
S0110302618.6 
S0210227327.1 

The idea is that when the user selects a sensor row (ie S02) in the graphic it should be showing 2 lines, one for the pressure and another for the temperature, each one with its own y-axis.

Any ideas or suggestions on how can achieve this?

Thanks!

Vanesa.

4 REPLIES 4

@amitchandak , @parry2k 

In that case, both attributes (for the two Y-series) should be defined at design time? is that right?

Because in my case, since different sensors can have different set of attributes i can't define a fixed attribute. It should be depending on the user's selection at run/view time.

@vhisa you use measures to show the values on both the Y-axis, so whatever logic you will build in your measure that use on the axis will reflect on the visual, make sense?

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Super User IV
Super User IV

Super User III
Super User III

@vhisa You can have maximum 2 series, one on the left and one on the right. Maybe there is a custom visual that allows more than two y-axis but I'm not aware of any. You can look at market place but out of the box, visuals don't allow more than 2 axis.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Happy New Year from Power BI

This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!

December Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!

Community Blog

Check it Out!

Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors