Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DV
Frequent Visitor

Multiple XML with different refresh hours on one table

Hello,

Is it possible to use two XML with different refresh hours for one table?

I want to refresh one XML (full 7 months data) to get full data from server at night and the other XML for every few hours (-2 days and +2 days interval data). I cannot always refresh asking for a full Data because of a server load and I need updates every single hour as information updates every minute. And this data should be on one table, looking user friendly. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @DV ,

PowerBI Service refresh time is setup for a dataset rather than a data source, each report can only use one dataset, as a result, if you want to use the XML files in one report, we can't refresh the XML files separately.

I want to refresh one XML (full 7 months data) to get full data from server at night and the other XML for every few hours (-2 days and +2 days interval data). I cannot always refresh asking for a full Data because of a server load and I need updates every single hour as information updates every minute. 

Maybe we can find other workaround in this scenario, generally, these two data source are used for different-grained. In this scenario, we can handle the coarse-grained data in the data source, then import the result to PowerBI dataset, this may not cause a huge server load.

Best Regards,

Teige

DV
Frequent Visitor

Hi, @TeigeGao 

Or maybe there's a chance to turn on "enable load" only at specific time? Then on one query it will be turned off at day time, it enables automatically at night - does a refresh and after that turnes off "enable load" again. Cannot think of other possibilities to use two queries (one for a full year) ant the other is only few days. Table should show all information (appends two queries) and if refresh was pressed at day time - it should only update that small query, the bigger one should be refresh only at night to avoid big data load at day time. Maybe you have different solution for this?

DV
Frequent Visitor

Maybe you can guide with steps, what actions should be taken for your mentioned workaround?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.