Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

benfitz23
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Tables with Similar Columns

Hi, I have a report which has multiple tables worth of data (7 in total). They all have 2 columns in common which is country name and Risk rating.

I have reports on one which pulls data from all 7 of these different tables and I would like to have filters on them by Country and by Risk Rating. So, I'm trying to figure out what the best way to create relationships between all 7 tables for both country name and risk rating but I can't seem to do it as it creates inactive relationships. I'm wondering what the best practice would be to get all the 7 tables synced up so I could slice by Country Name and Risk Rating and have all graphs affected. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@benfitz23 you need to create 2 new dimension tables.
1. That will have the unique list of countries
2. That will have the unitque list of Risk ratings.

Then you will create a 1 to many relationship for each one to all the other 7.
You need to just use the country and risk columns from the new dimension tables and they will filter all the others.

I suggest some reading and youtube about data modeling in Power BI.
Try also take the courses in sqlbi.com

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
benfitz23
Frequent Visitor

I just had to delete other relationships between the tables, thank you Sparta!

@benfitz23 my pleasure 🙂
Do check out my showcase report - got some high level stuff there. Sure you will find there a lot of cool ideas. Please give it a thumbs up over there if you liked it 🙂
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/SpartaBI-Feat-Contoso-100K/td-p/2449543

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@benfitz23 you need to create 2 new dimension tables.
1. That will have the unique list of countries
2. That will have the unitque list of Risk ratings.

Then you will create a 1 to many relationship for each one to all the other 7.
You need to just use the country and risk columns from the new dimension tables and they will filter all the others.

I suggest some reading and youtube about data modeling in Power BI.
Try also take the courses in sqlbi.com

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

Hi Sparta, thank you so much for the reply. I will be sure to check out those courses. 

I have created a new dimension table called Country and connected it to YAP and Detailed Issues (2 of my 7 tables) but the link between Country and Detailed Issues is inactive. I'm unsure if I might have a mistake somewhere here? Thank you so much for the help so far

benfitz23_0-1659550837979.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.