Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jh292
Helper I
Helper I

Multiple Tables, Relationships, costs and much more!

Hi all,

Posting this again but in a slightly different way, this time with an example fite / folder with everything in it. 

I'm new to PowerBi and strugling with the relationships in for this report. The few other reports I've made have worked like a dream and no problems other than my silly mistakes but with this one no matter how I wrestle with the relationships I can't get the data I need. 

Summary;

Monthly Nominal Code Reports - these are monthly reports that record a customers spend by "Norminal Code" 

A nominal code is a unique code for a specific product. 

That product has a product Type / Catagory 

I have a table called "Nominal Code Directory which applies the correct catagory to each nominal code (you will see there is more than one nominal code within each product type / catagory. Therefore I create a Prduct Type Single View table to simply give single rows for each Product Type (in the hope a bridging table would work)

Contacted to this is then 

a customer table - fairly simple.

Where it gets complicated I think is the next part which is understanding whether a customer is in or out of contract for their Product Type. Here I have a Contracts table, this has endates and and what Product Type that contract relates to. 

What will not work is getting all items on one table / visual.

I need visuals to show, by customer 

The product they buy

Spend on a product

Contract End of a product

And then ideally have the totals work (some times the total of the table is EVERYTHING not just whats being shown..)

Depending on how I set the relationships I ether get every product having the same price, or every contract end date is the same for all customer with that product 

And where I want to show total value out of contract vs in contract they come out identical!!

https://classnetworks-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/p/james_honeywill/Ea_BjVQaPXxAsrGWZh926WUBw8lDtVPtf8M1A9... 

Help would be fantasic!

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jh292 ,

Sorry to disturb you...

But did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Stephen Tao

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jh292 ,

About the relationships in Power BI, you need to understand the direction and cardinality in the relationship.

Please kindly refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-relationships-understand

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.