Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kbwissi
Frequent Visitor

Multiple Slicers on One Table

I have a very large table that I would like to apply some slicers to. Because the table is so large, I'd like to have multiple slicers acting on it. Below is an example of my data:

Vehicle ID -  Miles  - Num of Vehicles

1         - 10000 - 20

1         - 12000 - 20

1         - 10000 - 22

2         - 10000 - 20

2         - 12000 - 20

2        - 10000 - 22

I would like to have slicers for each column/vehicle ID combo. For example, I need the user to select for Vehicle ID 1, how many miles and the number of vehicles. For vehicle ID 2, I need them to select the miles and number of vehicles, etc.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For this you will need multiple disconnected slicers with measures to harvest the user choices and set defaults if no choice is made. Then use Dax in measures to filter individual measures.

Here is an example using multiple date ranges to overlap two data sets that I helped someone build for a different solution. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCIkLeqFmlhhJkIcpsdkWzMMqeBBw

It’s more complex than what you need but demonstrates the principles

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

so build them 🙂  I'd recommend setting up some Lookup Tables to linked to your data and filter on those. Will also function as bridge tables when you start using multiple source (FACT) tables.

Few ways to do do this.

in Power Query

1. make a REFERENCE copy of your query that collects the data (Right Click and hit REFERENCE)
  2. Select only the column you want to slice on and then REMOVE OTHER COLUMNS (right click on column header or from Remove columns button on ribbon)
  3. Then REMOVE Duplicates
  • Repeat 1-3 for each of your slicers link to your FACT table in your model and insert slicers visuals for each of them.

In DAXX

1. Create a new Table from the Modeling Ribbon
  2. Use this DAX PAttern
  3. Vehicle IDs = VALUES(table[Vehicle ID])
  4. Repeat 1-3 for each of your slicers link to your FACT table in your model and insert slicers visuals for each of them.

I sort of follow... but how would it work if for Vehicle ID 1 I wanted to select 10,000 miles and for Vehicle ID 2 I wanted to select 12,000 miles?

For this you will need multiple disconnected slicers with measures to harvest the user choices and set defaults if no choice is made. Then use Dax in measures to filter individual measures.

Here is an example using multiple date ranges to overlap two data sets that I helped someone build for a different solution. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCIkLeqFmlhhJkIcpsdkWzMMqeBBw

It’s more complex than what you need but demonstrates the principles
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I tried the link that you shared, but receievd an error.

Could you kindly send the link again, please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.