cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcowman Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Multiple Rows into Multiple Columns

I have an SQL query that returns two columns with multiple values and I need to format it into a key value from the first column with multiple columns made from the values in the second column. I've looked and tried various methods (including pivot/unpivot) in Excel, SQL and Power BI. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction for one of those. Here is a sample of the data being returned:

work order sample.PNG

What needs to happen is this:

work order sample-1.PNG

There may be 1 WC or there may be up to 21 (I believe). The current report -done through another product - shows up to 5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Multiple Rows into Multiple Columns

Check this out:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/power-bi/1063813-convert-2nd-column-values-rows-when-column-1-same-nam...

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Check this out:

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/power-bi/1063813-convert-2nd-column-values-rows-when-column-1-same-nam...

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Highlighted
pcowman Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Wow, that is exactly what I need. Just I don't know how to add M Code to my file. I'm assuming it's in the Power Query.

Super User
Super User

Once you are in Power Query, you can go to the advanced editor. That is where the code is pasted

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

pcowman Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I thought so but hadn't tried it yet. Woot it worked! I would buy you the beverage of your choice if I could.