Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LRamsey
Regular Visitor

Multiple Relationships

Hello,
I currently have two datasets that I am trying to combine. I created a custom table from the primary data set using Distinct values on one of the columns. I then used that custom table as a bridge for my relationship. However, there are cases where there is not a match on this particular dimension, either incorrect data in secondary data source or blank, but there are other matching columns within both that I would like to create the match with. Best way to describe it is if the there is not match using the Bridge create a match using the other dimension.

In the example below the PP-Master List is a custom table of distinct values of the PP Number from the primary data source.  The Secondary data source is SO Tracker.  As you can see it is not matching off the PP Number, but both have matches in either the Order Number or PO Number.  I would like to create a formula or relationship that says if PP does not match use match off Order Number or PO Number.

Screenshots are below:

Power BI.jpg

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can build multiple relationships between tables. However, only one of those relationships will be active. But, you can use a measure calculation with the function USERELATIONSHIP to address that issue. For example, let's say that want to count the number of matching rows in your dimesion table. You could do something like:

VAR __rows = COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE('Table'))
RETURN
IF(NOT(ISBLANK(__rows)),
  __rows,
  VAR __rows = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE('Table')),USERELATIONSHIP('Table1'[Column],'Table'[Column]))
  RETURN
  IF(NOT(ISBLANK(__rows)),
  __rows,
  VAR __rows = ...

IF(COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE(

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You can build multiple relationships between tables. However, only one of those relationships will be active. But, you can use a measure calculation with the function USERELATIONSHIP to address that issue. For example, let's say that want to count the number of matching rows in your dimesion table. You could do something like:

VAR __rows = COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE('Table'))
RETURN
IF(NOT(ISBLANK(__rows)),
  __rows,
  VAR __rows = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE('Table')),USERELATIONSHIP('Table1'[Column],'Table'[Column]))
  RETURN
  IF(NOT(ISBLANK(__rows)),
  __rows,
  VAR __rows = ...

IF(COUNTROWS(RELATEDTABLE(

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.