Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimmymitra
Advocate I
Advocate I

Multiple R visual with a common processing R code

I am using R visual in Power BI .

I have an existing R code that has multiple visualisations (histogram , pie chart , scatter plot ,bar chart etc)

But the processing part is common for all the above visualisation and I dont want they run multiple time for creation of each of the visualisation.

How can I achieve that ? currently I have to use 4 R visuals in Power BI , all of them are running a same common code to create 4 visuals that I need ... very frustrating

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jimmymitra,

As @v-yulgu-msft has indicated, you could move your data processing R script to R Connector. Check this link for details from Microsoft documents.

You can do your processing using R script and then use the resulting data set to create your R visuals.

If you already have the data in Power BI and need to use R to do further cleasing/manipulation you could use R Script in the Query Editor and use the resulting data set in your R visuals. Check this link from Microsoft document.

Either way (based on your requirement) you can centralise the R Script data processing/ETL in one place and use the resulting data set to create your R visuals.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jimmymitra,

What common code did you use to run R visuals? How did you run R code in Power BI? Via R script visual or loading R script in data connector?

1.PNG

2.PNG

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I run it Via R script visual .

In my code , I have some lines of code to prepare my dataframe that I will be using for multiple visulisation (histogram , scatter plot,pie chart etc)

But with R script visual ,for every visual , I need to run the R code upto the dataframe creation and then I have separate code in the visuals for separate type of plots.

I think this is not a very efficient way of doing things , as the same process is running 4 times for 4 different plots

Hi @jimmymitra,

As @v-yulgu-msft has indicated, you could move your data processing R script to R Connector. Check this link for details from Microsoft documents.

You can do your processing using R script and then use the resulting data set to create your R visuals.

If you already have the data in Power BI and need to use R to do further cleasing/manipulation you could use R Script in the Query Editor and use the resulting data set in your R visuals. Check this link from Microsoft document.

Either way (based on your requirement) you can centralise the R Script data processing/ETL in one place and use the resulting data set to create your R visuals.

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.